Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 PM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Touring on a Buell XB9/12 ?

Badda-bing...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #12
xring
Registered Member

You could, given that you replace the stock seat . But it certainly isn't a touring bike.

Mine is an 04 XB9S.

I did a trip to Deals Gap this summer, on the stock seat and with the stock flyscreen. 1300 miles in 3 days. Almost all of it was backroads (Blue Ridge Parkway, for example). My only complaint was the stock seat. Since I'm only 5-08, I can lean forward a bit and find a sweet spot where the wind just goes over my helmet. Wind blast was only a problem on the short highway stretches when getting up around 80 mph.

After getting the Streetfighter seat, did a 320 mile Sunday ride (all backroads) and could have done another 200 miles when I came back. The seat really makes a difference.

Fuel capacity is marginal, but I got great mileage when riding slower. On the Parkway, I probably averaged 55 mph and better than 65 mpg.

Also, if you ride aggressively the stock Dunlops on the non-CityX Lightnings wear out fast. Many guys are only getting 3000 miles or so on them...something to consider before starting a long trip.

Good luck,

Bill
xring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #13
dean_1
Founding Member

You never know. I bought a Daytona and wondered if I could make the 400 mile trip home after being off a bike for a few years. I figured the seat was through away and risers would be required.

I had the time of my life. The stock seat works great for me. The overall position is good. I thought the bars were low but I went to the gym to work on my muscle tone rather than raise things up.

Hey, if it looks like fun it probably is and if you ride any bike long enough in various weather none are comfortable compared to four wheels so it's gotta be fun to make it worthwhile
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
brax4444
Registered Member

REAL ANSWER FROM AN ACTUAL XB12S OWNER: I rode over 1000 miles in 18.5 hours including gas and food to join the "thousand mile club" on my 2004 Black XB12 Lightning and was extremely impressed. Yes it is comfortable enough for 500-600 mile days, Easily. I'd say anything up to 700 without feeling any real fatigue if you're stopping occasionally to enjoy the trip. I would feel it after 700 miles on anything however. Someone above recommended a Ulysses. That's a great suggestion if you're wanting to make a habbit out of long trips. Any trips over 5 days would utilize the extra luggage capability. I managed a 5 day trip with only Buell saddle bags and a tank bag. BTW, the 1000 miles was Key West, FL to Florence, AL if anyone wants to punch it up in yahoo or google maps. Great ride.

Brax
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #15
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Older owner of a 2004 XB12S

I am an older owner of a 2004 XB12S (47 years old) with race kit and Corbin seat. I'm also rather big 300 pounds and 6'2" so this applies to larger riders.

You didn't say how old or tall you were but this is what I have felt on my longer rides.

With the Corbin seats I am good for a 500 mile day or so. After that my legs start getting that cramped in feeling and I feel like I am ready to get off. I would suggest the tank bag that goes over the air box but remeber the more bags and weight you add to this little bike the less responsive it will feel.

You might want to try and get a test ride first if possible to see if the bike will be large enough.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:32 PM   #16
Rubble
Founding Member

I sat on a Ulysses yesterday, nice bike, nice ergos but far too tall for my 30" inseam.
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #17
tpoppa
Founding Member

I routinely do 400-500 mile days on my 2003 XB9S (15,000 miles without a hitch). This bike is excellent for sport touring on twisty backroads. IMO, due to the overall compactness, this is not the best choice for long hwy stretches.

I would look to the Ulysses or maybe an FJR1300 if long hwy days are in you plans.
tpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:58 PM   #18
ewok1
Founding Member

I think its more about you than it is about the bike. If you can do it i bet the bike will. get some helibars and giver hell man. i don't know what buell bags look like but i'm bettin there are cheaper and better alternatives.

ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #19
gentlemanjon
Registered Member

It is a bit difficult to answer your question without knowing your age and size, however here is my view on the matter.

As an owner of a Buell XB9S, and having ridden all the other Buell models, I would recommend the Ulysses with no hesitation at all, for the following reasons.

1. The rding position and seat is by far the most comfortable of all Buells

2. Available factory saddle bags and trunk are well thought out.

3. Most comfortable suspension due to long travel: absorbs bumps and goes through pot holes with elan.

4. The real "secret" to this bike is that it handles incredibly well on the street inspite of it's "Dakar" look, and it gives you the option to comfortably explore dirt roads.

My second choice would be the Long Wheel Base Twelve, the XB12Ss.

Touring on the short wheel base models is best reserved for the short of stature and the very young. I am neither!!
gentlemanjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:03 AM   #20
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Older owner of a 2004 XB12S

Good point: ergos are way personal. I'm a bit shorter & lighter and I do NOT fit on the XB12S...or any other Buell for that matter. I lust but don't fit. Maybe the XB12X.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote