Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #51
crevans
Founding Member

Default Re: New Buells online now

Stones and pebbles can definitely make for a bad day on a belt, but it looks like they did a pretty good job guarding the belt. I only see a tiny gap where something could really fly in there, and even that doesn't look too close to the pulley.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #52
odd_duck
Founding Member

The September Cycle World article explains a lot of the mysteries:

* What looks like a yellow seat cowl is actually a comfortable, well-padded seat. They developed a new belt that can eat rocks, and is supposed to last the life of the bike.

* The XB12X is actually a replacement for the S3T sport-tourer, they say, so it is filling the role of sport-tourer while being marketed as an "adventure bike".

* Sounds like the main problem is lack of steering-lock, which limits trail-riding and u-turn capability. Otherwise they didn't have anything bad to say about it.

odd_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #53
cptaebphd
Founding Member

The XB12X Ulysses is cool (for this dorky engineer), but the retail price is too much for me (hope the usual Buell discounts kick in). Can't wait to read the MO review! Make sure and get one with bags and do some 2-up rides.

I'm really diggin' all these adventure bikes! It's a great time to be a "mature" rider.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:12 AM   #54
PistolPete
Founding Member

After owning a few bikes now, I think a dual purpose (or enduro or adventure touring, or whatever the category of the day is) would really fit me best. I was pretty excited about the new buell coming out, I prefer two cylinder bikes overall for commuting use. Looking at the anouncement, and the price, there's no way I'll buy one. There are two many great bikes for less money. If Buell wants to compete, they have to adopt v-strom pricing, now bmw or ducati pricing. They have it in their minds they are a premier brand. I find them very interesting and desireable, but they don't have the history or resale value of a premier brand.

As far as the belt and being worried about rocks I don't think it'll be an issue. I had a softail for 3 years, and ride to work more than 50% of the time. I took both belt guards off a few months into my ownership and everybody screamed the same thing. "A rock will tear up your belt!" 3 years later, running no guards I still hadn't suffered any damage. Final drive belts are great. I have a bike with a chain now, and am annoyed at the process of having to clean, lube, and adjust the chain so often.

I like the Buell designs. Maybe I can find a Ulysses in a few years for 5k.....
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #55
maladg
Founding Member

Don't forget the 80 or 81 Yamaha XV920. Enclosed chain without the cosmic wierdness of the Seca 500.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #56
maladg
Founding Member

Default Re: The long

Where is my "NightTrain FlairThrust LongRod"?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #57
maladg
Founding Member

Default Re: I am not making this up!

Nah, Notch Johnson is the new marketing director: "Big Red Johnson FireThrust LongRod" is next.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #58
maladg
Founding Member

New LongThrust Flair, New LongThrust Dare, No Restraint Anywhere!

All McCallish yucks aside, this eruption (sorry) of Adventure bikes is the coolest thing since sliced bread which - of course - is the coolest thing since itself.

Could this be the bike that stops me from riding the Fat Lady (that'd be my ST11, not...)

I better stop now.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:38 AM   #59
johnnyquest
Founding Member

The xb12x is a bike that interests me greatly. Although some have mentioned the price point, the only competition IMO is the Ducati Multistrada and the BMW R1200GS. The Vstrom is less expensive, but doesn't have a factory hard bag option nor does it come with "fire-road" rubber. I guess I'm interested because when I first started riding last year one of the first bikes I was interested in was the CityX. When I decided to buy used I got a BMW K75s with factory lockable hard bags and quickly decided that a bike with hard bags gives it greater utility. I can take my extra faceshield, gloves, rain gear, bike cover with me and still have room for lunch and gym clothes. I had told myself that I would get either a multistrada, an r1200rt, or a st3 as my next bike in a few years when my car is paid for, but now this new buell makes my list....all the design features I liked about the CityX in a comfortable package and the utility I want. And with none of the valve adjustments and chain maintenance of a Ducati.

JQ
Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 AM   #60
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Why??

Can't think of a single reason to do that.

Sorry.