Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #121
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Predictions from the Great One

W. must be doing something wrong; seeing how the last guy, to claim that much moral certitude, got crucified.

I wouldn't really be against the war, if it didn't look so much like a Land-Grab; and, the West hadn't buggered things up, in the first place.

Oh, yeah! And, p!ssing off the rest of the industrialized world, probably wasn't a good idea, either.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2004, 07:55 AM   #122
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: You new in town pardna?

Thanx Buz. Point taken.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #123
christian_gates
Founding Member

Default Some Homework for Kpaul

Your email address makes me think that you have access to a library, and maybe even a bunch of economic data.

Go to this library. Find the historical statistics for the U.S. economy, and locate Gross Domestic Product and Gross National Product. Copy down unemployment, too, if you'd like. I recommend you use 1960 - 2003. You can also download this information from the Internet.

Now, chart GDP and GNP annual growth. Chart unemployment on the same graph. Chart inflation on the same graph.

Make observations, draw conclusions.

Here's a question you can use to get started: were GDP and GNP growth, on average, higher or lower after Reagan took office? How about Inflation and Unemployment? Support your answer with information.

You can always pick one year, by the way, and say that it's comparatively 'good' or 'bad', so I'd recommend you look at longer periods.

cdg
Old 11-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #124
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Predictions from the Great One

We were having a nice little discussion about the merits of Buell's and by extension Harleys and up pops our little sh*t-blister to take his usual off topic lurch into irrelevance

Oh well........
Old 11-22-2004, 08:35 AM   #125
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: A Buell Cruiser? Hey! It could Happen, if I had my way.

I do agree that the XB looks ok. Certainly better than the KTM (but if someone gave me a KTM I'd ride the rims off of it). However, both are a far cry from the best of the Italians.

If the Sporty motor were a horse, I'd put a bullet in it.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:56 AM   #126
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: How come it takes a Buell?

I think you're right in a sense.. The big four in particular and (! stereotype alert !) Japanese corporations in general don't really innovate because they don't have to.

Their stock in trade is refinement of exhisting designs and searing quality control. I can't honestly think of anything the Japanese "invented" on their own except Saki, God bless 'em. But they can use an exhisting design, pick it apart to it's basic componants and tweak and refine it all day long.

Smaller companys like Buell, Ducati, ELF and Cosworth can try a design and refine it or bag it if it doesn't work because they have so much more flexibility BMW, while a larger company has a whole auto design and engineering infrastructure to pick and choose from.

The mental image of corporate Japan I have is a large room full of suits, with boards and graphs, studying each and every aspect of every change with complete micro-management from the marketing department of every decision.

With the smaller companys it's two or three guys sitting around saying "yeah, that might work, make a couple and we'll find out"
Old 11-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #127
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: How come it takes a Buell?

In other words, Di Vinci would have been burned at the stake, in Japan?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:52 AM   #128
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Burned at the stake...

might be a little strong.

But venture capital would be thin on the ground!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #129
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Some Homework for Kpaul

Hah! Good work, Dr. Gates.
Closed Thread