Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Buell News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/buell-news/)
-   -   One Year / 12,831 Miles on a 2004 Buell XB12s (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/buell-news/2517-one-year-12-831-miles-2004-buell-xb12s.html)

gbrummett 09-14-2004 06:25 AM

Mileage

Thanks for the input, you are so right, why else would anyone buy a new rare Ducati that's $29,000 when a ZX10 will out run it for almost a third less?

Because it's cool and has soul that's why!

My lower mileage probally results from my two heavies.

Heavy butt, heavy throttle hand.

:-)

mile_eater 09-14-2004 06:37 AM

Re: Motorcycles for dummies and the Kept Man

More of the same logic I see. I do things differently than you do, so therefore I'm an idiot. Buell does things differntly than the big 4, so therefore they are idiots.

You have some growin' up to do boy. By the way... How's work?

Cause I can tell ya... I stayed up watchin the game lastnight... threw back a few beers... got up about 9 or so...

Yeah... I hope the "real world" is fun. Because I'm sure as hell havin' plenty of fun over here.

seruzawa 09-14-2004 06:47 AM

Re: Average 600 Squids

At the dragstrip the story wouldn't be much different either. A dragrace is won during the launch. Blow that and you are out of it.

If you look at the performance figures for bikes (check out http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/depts/D...IndexPart1.pdf and

http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/depts/D...IndexPart2.pdf)

you will see that most performance bikes run in a very similar area for 0-60 times. Any error at launch places the pilot at an insurmountable disadvantage. A ZX-6 rider who blows his launch is not going to make up the optimum 0.8 sec difference with a Buell XB12S in a 1/4 mile.

This is also why a person on a V-twin can be much faster when riding a mountain road. The V-Twin is simply easier to ride fast.

And anyone who thinks that the top speed advantage means much in the mountains... well, more power to ya. Use that speed and you will get in a lot of trouble when you come upon deer and octogenarian motorhome obstacles sitting in blind curves.

Save that sort of riding for the track. If you want to survive, that is.

Dang. There I go talking about the real world again.

seruzawa 09-14-2004 07:01 AM

Re: Excellent stuff

Don't waste your breath. Nowhere has gbrummett (or anyone) claimed that the Buell is a "Ninja Killer". As usual Kook is responding to hallucinatory perceptions.

Tigercub 09-14-2004 07:13 AM

Re: Average 600 Squids

That was my point, which you said much better. On public roads (gravel, wet surface, on-coming traffic) where most riding is done the 600 requires a little more effort than a V-twin. I think where is shows up is entrance speed can be higher on the V-twin.

johnnyb 09-14-2004 07:22 AM

twins are in

as i keep abreast of the marketplace leafing thru my new FHM magazine, the motorcycles they picked for cool wheels section are all twins save one: H-D Road king, BMW R1200GS, Duc 999R, Victory Kingpin, Burgman 650, Yama Royal Star TD and Buell City 9x.

SeanAlexander 09-14-2004 07:48 AM

Re: Numbers don't lie, but KP does

Nobody claimed a Buell XB-12 was a "Ninja Killer" YOU are the ONLY one who is saying that it is a 600 killer.

KP we had a very similiar discussion about this stuff with you about a year ago, when discussing an old Suzuki GS1000 and modern 600s. Eventually you (at least claimed) to have an epiphany and said you finally got it. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT TORQUE AND ITS EFFECT IN REAL WORLD RIDING SITUATIONS.

If you are "racing" a modern 600 in a street dragrace and AT ANY time your revs fall down to the 5,000RPM range, then you are totally clueless as to how to ride an inline four sportbike. For your revs to drop all the way down to 5,000RPM after an upshift, you must have shifted out of first at around 8,000RPM. If you really raced anything on your ZX-6R, you'd already know this. If you DO indeed ride as your words seem to indicate, then yes, a Buell will absoloutely smoke you, as you are only using about 40% of the performance of your engine.

The key to Buells being effortlessly quick on the street, is that at typical street RPMS the Buells are already operating near their torque peaks and thus can hard accelleration in an instant. Meanwhile the Buell is disappearing, as you are trying to climb out from under 6,000RPM and are WAY WAY down in your powerband.

Bottom Line, If you're just sitting at a stoplight like normal and not "staged" with your tach at 11,500RPM, when that light turns green, the Buell rider will simply open his throttle and accellerate briskly away from you. If you DID know how to extract maximum performance from your modern 600 and you WERE prepared for a race at that instant, then you's smoke the Buell and come back to tell us all about what a hero you are. However you wouldn't ben mentioning anything about "5,000RPM" while you were at it. -Sean

SeanAlexander 09-14-2004 07:58 AM

KPaul Says

KPaul says: "I am trying to separate the propaganda from fact"

WHY? You are NOT QUALIFIED to try and seperate motorcycle propoganda from fact. In fact, you are one of the worst "propoganda" spouters on this thread. -Sean

captainwhoopass 09-14-2004 08:21 AM

Off-Topic, but...

Where is your story on the '05 Yammie sportbikes?

johnnyb 09-14-2004 08:24 AM

Re: Off-Topic, but...

o5 R6 is up on other sites. Val Rossi (I call him Val) and myself were instrumental in its design of course...