Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buell News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   You asked for it: My Buell experience. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2418)

F451 06-09-2004 11:32 AM

Maytag Man

"Is it supposed to sound like a 30-year-old Maytag?" What's wrong with Maytag now? They're suppose to last thirty years. Good old Erik just keeps putting out the hits in my book.

pdad13 06-09-2004 11:46 AM

Re: Maytag Man

Okay, okay. How 'bout a 50-year-old Maytag?

It was making some weird noises, okay?

And the Maytag in my place can't be more than 10-years old and it's sounding pretty bad. Almost as bad as the XB sounded when I started it.

nokneedragin 06-09-2004 11:49 AM

Re: You asked for it: My Buell experience.

Thanks for the review, real world and well written.

Sorry about the S. Fl. straight roads, been there, dun dat. The 7mile bridge is a cool ride.

Still sounds like a bit of a kludged together bike, but it does have the "don't see one every day" factor.

BMW4VWW 06-09-2004 12:24 PM

Re: Maytag Man

I wouldn't be too concerned about being noticed for leaving half of your food uneaten at Denny's. I'll bet that happens more often that not. I liked your real world take on riding a new and strange motorcycle. It's something that is often lacking in print mag. reviews. VWW

pated 06-09-2004 01:07 PM

That was the best review I have read in over a year. It was all about the bike. Great job.

5valvethumper 06-09-2004 01:08 PM

Thanks for a real world article. It's hard to filter the bias that seems to seep into XB reviews. I ride a 95 MZ Skorpion Sport - it confuses the hell out of most people. Most riders coming from a 600-whatever sportbike can't get past my redline is about where they start to slip out the clutch. It's all what you're used to. Don't try something different..you might like it.

IceWorm 06-09-2004 02:51 PM

Buell Comfort?

Nice story! I was down that way on a 1993 K11RS a few years ago for the Gator Rally in Marathon, Fl. I rode the 1000 plus miles from Baton Rouge in a day and a half on that bike for the two day rally and then back the other direction the same distance in a day and a half. I have to say comparing the Buell to a Sportster and a Victory in terms of comfort on a massive 200 mile ride at best, ooops sorry, that would be 400 miles round trip, leaves me wondering. I love that Buell, and have considered buying one, possibly soon, but I would need a lot more than laser straight roads and blue water to keep me happy whilst riding it.

pdad13 06-09-2004 03:12 PM

Re: Buell Comfort?

Like I said, results may vary. I was prepared for an unbearable torture rack. The fact that it wasn't exceptionally painful was quite surprising. Don't think I meant that it was like riding a Gold Wing, just far more comfortable than I ever would have expected. After some of the things I read about the Firebolt's ergos, I thought I'd be in traction for a week. I felt fine.

And I don't think I'm even nuts enough to attempt to ride it for 1000 miles a clip. I think a 200 mile ride is more than enough for this type of bike.

I also agree that you really need some twisty roads to really appreciate the Bolt. While I was on it I was thinking what a shame it was that I couldn't bring it somewhere more appropriate to sample its charms.

jstrain 06-09-2004 03:19 PM

I've always liked the looks of the XB series. More than that though, I liked this writeup. It is stuff like this that makes my subscription worthwile. Great writing (I laughed out loud in a few spots), and a real world opinion, not just a bunch of numbers and graphs.

Thanks to pdad for the info, and thanks to MO for posting it!