Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Buell News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/buell-news/)
-   -   You asked for it: My Buell experience. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/buell-news/2418-you-asked-for-my-buell-experience.html)

johnnyb 06-10-2004 06:54 AM

Re: You asked for it: My Buell experience.

Yep the R is okay but if you had ridden the S on that route, wait, just about any route, you would be wanting one badly about now. All that dreck about standing up on the brakes, etc, goes right out the window with the high wide handlebar, and the pegs are lower too which is cool if you're tall i imagine. Far as price goes, I could be just as happy if not more happy with 9S. Slightly less lumpy idle with shorter-stroke clankshaft, higher RPM ceiling, shorter gearing, and doesn't feel like much less power esp. with race kit. I bin riding borrowed Kawa Z1000 and missing Buell too, snif...

ewok1 06-10-2004 07:09 AM

he said kludged

webster needs to be notified. nice.

pdad13 06-10-2004 07:30 AM

Hey, man. If you don't already know, there's a nice little mention of you in the most recent Cycle World (letters section). A reader wrote to lament your absense. The Ed. replied with little blurb about how they missed you but you're making too much money writing ad copy so you won't return their calls, yada, yada, yada...

Just thought you'd like to know.

And welcome to the tortured, masochistic creed of advertising copywriters. I know your pain.

XB9: I was considering the 9 because I heard that the race kit makes a big difference. You really feel that strongly? I haven't had a chance to ride a 9.

SRMark 06-10-2004 07:39 AM

Thanks for the perspective. You should also be a mystery writer, given the nice head-fake at the beginning of your piece.

It's good to have choices, although I prefer Earl Grey to Orange Peeko.

johnnyb 06-10-2004 07:48 AM

yeah man I saw it and parlayed it into passes to laguna seca. It's like E Buell said, diff. between 9 and 12 is kind of like small-block and big-block Vettes. I think the 9 has a lighter feel to it that fits the XB's character better, and the thing runs smoother at part-throttle cruising around cause of smaller power pulses and shorter gearing. I think. as you know, once above 50 mph or so they are both dead smooth cruisers. I am also cheap. Even if I weren't i might rather have the 9. With race kit, 9 has plenty of acceleration and it revs, even without it.

nokneedragin 06-10-2004 08:19 AM

You see, this makes the decision harder. The bikes are the same, but ones bored out, with a lower rev limit. Ones revs better, but makes less power. They both weigh about the same, so whats the real difference?

Clarify some more, oh great sage.

I have never complained about reving a bike to get it going, and I don't understand the big deal about having to shift. Its part of the feel of riding a motorcyle. The interaction with the machine, the tactile feel of shifting, turning, moving around on it thats makes it more enjoyable than any other land vehicle.

I guess some people just want an automatic transmission on their bike.

Anyway, what is the practical difference between the 9 and the 12, then whats the gut tell you?

nokneedragin 06-10-2004 08:21 AM

Night on the town.

I've actually left a half a plate of food on the table, then the other half in the bushes outside the front door.

Haird 06-10-2004 08:40 AM

Re: Maytag Man

Oh, c'mon. It's been at least 50 years since a Maytag was driven by a gas engine ...

johnnyb 06-10-2004 08:42 AM

12 i think has 1/2-inch longer stroke so it feels thumpier and rougher, and heavier crank (i think?) seems like it doesn't turn so quick and light as the 9 does. 9 revs more cause it's geared shorter... ***** man, ride em both, Buell dealers give test rides do they not?

MrBear44 06-10-2004 08:43 AM

Re: Excellent Review

As opposed to what? The excellent management practices in Italy?

I did enjoy the article. Informative, well written and organized.

I've spent some time on an XB9R, and it's a fun bike, but not so much that I would spend the asking price. It really did stand up under braking, and the front brake feel was somewhat soft. It was also very heavy steering. I left the setup alone, since it was a friendÂ’s bike.

A rear wheel bearing disintegrated at around 8000 miles. It was fixed under warranty even though this was an early XB9R, and was out of warranty.