Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 06-11-2004, 03:56 PM   #111
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent

Buz is right. Kp's mood has a direct correlation to the timing of his medication. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2004, 10:48 PM   #112
itsings
Founding Member

Default Re: You asked for it: My Buell experience.

quote//" the gearbox needs serious work, it shakes like hell at idle, and itÂ’s kinda weird. But, damn, it was a blast."

And then the real kicker. "I think I would own one."//

I couldn't have said it better after my test ride. Both the S and the R models are some of the coolest bikes to be dreamed up. And I too thought very seriously about making the purchase.

But it only took the next time I rode a buddies CBR to realize how much further the Buell's needs to go. It's not just a pure performance, quickness, top speed thing. It's just an over all refinement that the bikes lack in comparison to their peers.

But I pray that someday soon Eirk Buell is no longer working with both hands tied behind his back being forced to use that engine and transmision. When that happens DAM is he gonna produce an amazing machine....

itsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:03 PM   #113
itsings
Founding Member

Default Re: The modern engine predicament and...great job

quote// Buell is building streefighter. If a large displacement slow revving v-twin can be a superior streetfighter then it is the people who insist on using a heavier more complex water-cooled high reving 4 cylinder who are behind the 8 ball.//

The Aprilia Tuono is universally considered the most amazing production streetfighter motorcycle ever built. Nothing slow reving or air cooled about it... And I am pretty sure they got the required use right!!!

I always see everyone make claims about how the air cooled V-twin is a superior design. But whether that's true or not it's irrelevant when discussing Buells. Because whether it's a good design concept or not the engine and transmision are still of very poor comparitive quality and performance to their peers. Whether those peers be liquid, air, in-lines, V's whatever... the Buell's are always going to be seriously handicapped as long as they are using that same sportster engine and tranny.....
Old 06-11-2004, 11:12 PM   #114
itsings
Founding Member

Default Re: They both turn so light they make a CBR600RR feel like a truck

Um yeah, thats called stability. See when your bike can actually go over the speed limit in under 12 seconds it's important not to have the rake and trail numbers of a 250 GP bike...

And where I work there's this guy that says after he rides his XB12R and then drives his Dodge pickup it feels like a truck.....
Old 06-12-2004, 02:39 AM   #115
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Some updates to your info. (Jet subhunter and new cargo plane)

Yeah, but the last time the AF bought a cargo plane with such huge glowing claims it turned out that the plane had serious problems with the wings snapping off. Military procurement is famous for overblown lies about the abilities of new gear. That's how these generals get those nice fat retirement jobs from the contractors.

We'll see.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:39 PM   #116
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default With a rc51 engine

Then it'd be a Tool instead of a Buell.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #117
bigjames
Premium Member

Hmmmm, Rental bike that has been through who knows what, wrong bike for the trip, lousy road (have ridden it many times) that is easily the worst place to test ride anything, inexperienced rider on that bike, did not listen when instructed how to ride it, claims New York drivers are polite (idiot, where do you think a lot of those Miami drivers learned to not drive?) and you all gush about what a wonderful review it was. Give me a freaking break. This may be nicely written, but has absolutely no use as an objective ride review.
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:15 PM   #118
pdad13
Founding Member

Hmmmm. Bike had less than 1000 miles on it, so it should have been broken in but not abused. I think I can also assume that motorcycle rental agencies must be more diligent about upkeep than, say, a car rental agency, given the liability issues. (This was no fly-by-night shop either. It was a H-D dealer.) So I doubt they would have put me out on a bike that was mechanically dubious. It's bad for business in so many ways, numbnuts. The rental agent also told me they don't rent that bike much. Most people want cruisers down there (so I do agree with your point about this not being the best route to "test" a bike such as this. In fact, I said that very thing.)

Two: Yeah, I forgot to turn the engine switch on. If you were reading, and not grunting to yourself, you would have noticed that I was preoccupied with my feelings of dread about the bike. Plus it was kind of funny, so I mentioned it. No doubt an uber-skilled rider such as yourself would never do such an inexcusable thing. And God forbid anyone else admitting to such a crime! What was I thinking?

Three: My fond rememberance of New York drivers was an example of something adults (at least those with proper mental development) call SARCASM. Of course I don't think New York drivers are good, Skippy. I was just freaked by how bad the drivers in Miami were on that day. By the way, I've been to Miami more than once and I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of Miami natives who've never lived in New York. (Ever hear of a nice litte island called Cuba? How 'bout the rest of the U.S.A.?) So while I'm sure there are many, many dangerous NY-transplanted blue hairs and young chessebucket-types terrorizing the roadways, I'd be willing to be that that MOST (means "more than half") of the people who live are not actually from NY. I believe this to be true because, among all of our driver safety sins, we at least know how to MERGE. Obviously, many Miamians don't.

Four: How many times did I say that I wasn't writing a proper road test? Okay, at least once. In fact, I preferred to refer to it as a "rider impression." It was my only chance to ride a Buell, any Buell, for any extended period of time. So the fact that it was the wrong trip for that bike didn't deter me one bit. Apparently your poor comprehension skills let you down once again. This was never intended to be a "test." The fine people at MO do a wonderful job of testing all by themselves.

The story here was how my attitude towards the bike changed--I really did hate it at first. And how, maybe, we're all a little afraid to try something that goes against the grain. Maybe we're all missing something.

Okay, bigjames? You don't have to agree with what I say. I'm just an average rider with an opinion. That doesn't make me an idiot. Not sure I can say the same about you.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:42 PM   #119
XB12R
Registered Member

I enjoyed the review. I just bought a Firebolt last week and my heart was sinking as I began reading your article. There are so many great bikes out there, that committing to one is always going to be a compromise, I just don't like to get beat over the head with with all the things the Buell lacks. On the way home from the shop I stopped at a friends and swapped bikes to ride his RC51. Might not have been a great idea on my part, as it highlighted all of the XB's weak points. We decided that they have different things going for them, and there is no perfect bike. FWIW, I am still breaking it in, but I rode for an hour and a half the other day and was totally comfortable. Great seat and ergo's. I had a sportster with a corbin 5 years ago that just killed me. I have had a Hawk, Superhawk and SV and I think it more comfortable than those as well. Also, right off the bat finding nuetral has been no problem, and shifting has been a lot easier than I expected. I put upward presure on the lever, and then just blip the clutch and get a quick smooth shift. Nothing like the RC, but not the tank-like gearbox of the sportster either. Have found no false nuetrals yet, but I have yet to really hammer it.
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:22 PM   #120
pdad13
Founding Member

Remember, much of my initial problem with the bike was merely because it was so different that what I ride on a regular basis (currently, a Kawi ZRX). And I really think that's one of the problems people have giving Buell any credit. It's a very different approach than what their used to.

Once I figured out how the best way to ride it, I really enjoyed it. I've never ridden an RC 51, but I'd bet that there are some advantages to the XB12. It's just hard for most of us to accept because we think there's no way we could enjoy a bike with an old-style pushrod motor as much, or maybe even more, than the latest and greatest. That's why I wrote this thing. Not to give you a technical analysis, but to try to look at the bike in a different light. A light that we all live under but rarely see. Most of us are too busy looking at specs.

By the way, the gearbox did get better for me, too. It still wasn't as good as I would expect, but it's just an imperfection that I could live with.

If the bike stays reliable, and you enjoy it, be happy with it. Don't second-guess every time you look at your friends RC. You've got a cool, unique bike there. At least in my opinion.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote