Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 06-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #91
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: The price is NOT steep...

High service fees? Heck a moron can work on this. It must be so because I can do all the service on my XB9S. It is very easy to work on compared to a Jap bike. In addition no valve adjustments thanks to hydrolic lifters. I did my most recent service per the book in less than 2 hours at a cost of less than $35 for materials. The dealer wanted $170. Jump on in. Buelling is big fun! I hope they come out with a sport tourer soon. I will be there to replace my VFR800.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #92
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: The modern engine predicament and...great job

Yes, true. I now have a whole new appreciation for the Sporty-based engine. And to remove it would greatly alter the character of the bike.

But this is all a matter of perception and hindsight, isn't it? If the XB had been orginally introduced with an all new V-Twin--let's call it the "Sh*tstorm"-- that "everyone" agreed was a great engine, you wouldn't be able to imagine the bike being anything but Sh*tstorm-powered, would you?

Listen, I like the bike the way it is, too. I just don't want to pay $10-11K for it the way it is.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:20 AM   #93
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Volume, volume, volume...

"What they need is more dealer support or even seperate shops so the Buell line isn't treated like an ugly step child."

This is absolutely one of Buell's biggest problems. Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:31 AM   #94
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: The price is NOT steep...

Sorry, don't have the facilities to work on my own bikes. And Harley service ain't cheap. Plus, I've heard that many of the H-D service shops aren't even up to speed on the Buells, so if something goes wrong, your bike could be laid up for aeons. Do they have morons working at H-D dealers?

Good to know about the ease of maintaining them, though. Another plus for Buells.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:44 AM   #95
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default You don't have to pay $10-11K!!

It's only $8,995 for a 2004 XB12R or XB12S or $6995 for a new 2003 XB9R or S at Chandler Arizona H-D Buell and they have over 20 in stock with all colors ready for delivery.

Check it out... http://www.chandlerharley.com/

They were number one in Buell sales world wide last year. Ask to see the little sales trophy.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #96
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: You don't have to pay $10-11K!!

Do you work there? Or are they just giving you a cut?

Being that I live in New York, how do you propose I get the bike home? Plus, if there's a problem with the bike, I'm pretty sure the local H-D dealers are not going to be all that helpful. And then I've got to go through some registration hassle, I'm sure.

Hey, what's the sales tax in AZ?

Okay, okay. I'll check out the web site.

Thanx, GB.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:44 AM   #97
sarnali
Founding Member

If you can get the bike at a few grand discount then it might be worth it. All you'd have to do is arrange shipping to NY, and going through a dealership that's not going to be more than $6 or $700 dollars I'd expect. Plus the local dealers are going to treat you like ***** anyway so at least you wouldn't be paying them for the privilige.

I've looked into buying a new Bonneville on ebay from a dealer in VA. and having it shipped out to Washington, and though I'd save a few hundred bucks I'd rather support my local dealer who has treated me well. In your case where it's a grand or two..........
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:57 AM   #98
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The modern engine predicament and...great job

In engineering the usual goal is to produce the simplest design possible. From experience I know that air-cooled engines are simpler than water cooled ones. Also, pushrod engines are easier to assemble/disassemble - one of the reasons GM has stayed with pushrods on their new generation of V-8s is ease of assembly on the production line.

Buell is building streefighter. If a large displacement slow revving v-twin can be a superior streetfighter then it is the people who insist on using a heavier more complex water-cooled high reving 4 cylinder who are behind the 8 ball.

It's all in personal preference anyhow. One is not innately superior to the other.

In an analogous vein, even though one would think that modern fanjet engines are "superior" to propellor powered engines you may note that the USAF still uses turboprop C-130s which are unbeatable for large loads on short runways. And the Navy still uses the lockheed turboprop Electra based Orion subhunters because of their superior fuel efficiency and huge loiter time. In fact the Japanese recently bought a few themselves.

The required use must be considered for any product before one can decide on technical superiority. Blanket statements have a way of backfiring.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:20 PM   #99
pdad13
Founding Member

Yeah, you see this is the problem. I have shipped a bike from Colorado. Arizona would probably fall within the same shipping zone. And you're right, it'll cost about $650-$700. Add that to the price and were up to $9700. Dealer prep is going to be about $400 minimum, right (if they charge the same as they do for a H-D)? Now we're up to 10k already. Then I've got to deal with the registration.

My point is that I really like the Buell. But I can also go to my Kawasaki dealer and get a leftover 2003 ZX-636 for a lot less out the door. And I'd have it prepped and home in about three hours. I can get an 2003 SV1000S for about $7,200 at my local Suzuki dealer. Different bikes, very different experiences, I know. But it's still hard to justify ten grand for the Buell. For some, the extra couple of thousand isn't an issue and that's fine. But for me it is.

Hell, when I'm ready, maybe I'll just find a nice used XB-9, get the race kit installed and be done with it.

Or maybe those discounts will roll this way soon.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:26 PM   #100
bubba2003
Founding Member

Default Re: You asked for it: My Buell experience.

Hey, y'all, I'll be only too happy to post my semi-negative life-with-vfr800 stuff and my semi-positive life-with-ZX9R stuff and my recent test rides on my-bud-the-doc's GSX-R1000, ZX-10R and CBR1000RR. I've been street riding, racing offroad (read crashing) and tuning for 44 of my 54 years and have owned over 50 bikes, mostly off-road machines but the street units include a '55 Panhead in the late 60s and 10 or so Jap bikes. Whew! So little money, so many motorcycles. Just say the word and I'll spill mah guts.
bubba2003 is offline   Reply With Quote