Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 05-23-2004, 11:12 PM   #61
kwh
Founding Member

Default Re: Results...

As I said before, kudos is due to Eric Buell for designing a chassis that can drag a vintage tractor engine on to the first page of the results sheet at a national championship race. I have to ask "why" though. There are three possibilities that come to my mind:

1. Eric (and Mr Burns) are united in their belief that the aformentioned vintage tractor engines are the future, and that once we get tired of our modern twins, triples and fours we will all come back to the one true (heavy, vibrating, underpowered, overweight, gearbox like a spanner in a bucket of ball bearings) way.

2. It's like an extended episode of scrapheap challenge / junkyard wars. "Can you build a sports bike out of this ultra-hi-tech cutting-edge chassis, and this, the engine from a 1927 ditch pump! You have ten years, and your time starts now!

3. He's doing it for a huge bet, in the same way El-Ron started the scientologists. Maybe a few years ago there was a really drunken poker school where somebody with lots of money called Eric when he unwisely said "Hell, I could build a sports bike with a goddamn Harley engine in, and people would still buy it!". All he has to do is outsell the CBR600 one year with a sportster-powered sports bike and he wins 20 million dollars, but if he gives up and builds a bike with a proper engine he loses his house.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2004, 04:07 AM   #62
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: $20 says...

I rode an XB12 Firebolt all weekend in Florida. If anyone would like to know my impressions, just say the word.

Until then, I'll humbly retreat.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:22 AM   #63
nokneedragin
Founding Member

bring it on. actual reviews by someone who rode it is always helpfull.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:32 AM   #64
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Re: Results...

4: (the probable real reason): He truely wants to make an American sportbike, but HD won't give him a few million in R&D money to design a new engine (hell, KTM! has designed its own V-twin), and due to constraints of being an HD company, he can't go out and buy an engine from Rotax (Mille engine), Honda (RC51), or Suzuki (TL1000).

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:49 AM   #65
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

Default Re: ahh the 600rr

Gosh Johnny; from motorcycles to Iraq in one post. This has to be a record.
SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:21 AM   #68
obandoj
Founding Member

Where are you now johnnyb?

You are in the hole for many $20's. That's gonna put a hole in your budget for your Enzite adiction
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:31 AM   #69
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default This is an automated response.

JB is in Lower Bumphuk, Egypt, on business. Out of the office. Not in. Kudos to Chandler, I knew he would do well but not that well in the first outing.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #70
ewok1
Founding Member

Default ahhh Egypt

why do they insist on calling it lower bumphuk when there is no upper bumphuk? i am nearly certain honda is calling those shots too.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote