Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 05-03-2004, 08:26 PM   #54
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Default Re: Engine, Engine, number (XB) 9

Johnny! No offense, man. What I meant was, and few riders seem to dispute, is that the engine in street Buells is not nearly as up-to-date as other sportbikes on the market. How ever much of a hoot these things are to ride with the current engine, how much more fast and fun would they be with an updated one?

Who hasn't dreamed of mating one make's good chassis with another's good motor? Anyone remember the people who made "Tritons" out of Triumphs and Nortons?

As far as racing goes, I dunno... you and I both well know that the rider, not the machine, makes a lot of the difference. If Nicky Hayden (or Sean, for that matter) was on an RS125, he could make me look like I was standing still on a Gixxer Thou, especially at Sears Point or wherever. That the Buells, which are allowed their bigger displacements anyway, and the handling abilities that were already discussed, with skilled riders could wind up above some of the Big 4 machines doesn't surprise me.

Geez, "off-with-his-head"s like this reminds me why I spend most of my time lurking.
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:57 PM   #56
aknopak
Founding Member

Default Re: Here we go again...

I love the new Buells, the main thing holding me back is the limited capacity of the gas tank. I'd hate to be at the tankstation every 100 miles... On my Sprint RS I can go up to 240 miles between stops.

Another minor issue is that the Buells look like some sort of weird wedgy when ridden by people 6 feet tall or more, the bikes are so tiny!

Finally, the Triumph is a real hard bike to replace, as it's just about perfect, for me anyway. But that's a good thing
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:22 PM   #57
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: BUELLS NOT BAD EH?

Wooohoooo 8th and 11th. Damn, I feel a tear coming. Those Buells, snif, so perfect, must be God's choice.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 02:26 AM   #58
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The "if it only had a decent motor" clowns really make me laugh. 99% of you can't even come close to getting the most out of the bike OR the motor on your best day. Think KPaul on his 600, under 90 and never revving over 9 grand. He's been breaking it in for 15,000 miles now. Maybe if he actually nails it, he may soil his undies. Think about Sean waxing a$$es on a Sportster in the last test, and maybe you need him to knock your ego down a notch or two. True, it doesn't have 150 horsepower, but if you are a rider and not just a throttle twister or Burger Barn regular, you don't need it, and most will never use it anyway. Because most squids can't carry around 'Shootout Comparo Wins' in the tank bag, or argue that their bike is the fastest, while sitting at the Burger Barn, the Buell will never be very popular. Ol Burns is giving it a go though.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:28 AM   #59
nokneedragin
Founding Member

As opposed to the OB-GYN exam pose of most cruisers
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:33 AM   #60
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Step back to reality now!

Bike week crowd actually coming to a race?

What planet do you go to bike week on.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote