Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 05-05-2004, 03:33 AM   #141
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: 100 HP at the tire

Doesn't the XB12 dyno at 92-95 RWHP? Seems close to me. Have you ridden an XB Buell or are you just talking out your arse? They are easy bikes to hate based on spec sheets, magazine reviews, and their association with Harley-Davidson Motor Company.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2004, 05:13 AM   #142
Winger4Life
Founding Member

LOL. My Goldwing has more torque and hp than the XB12! Has anyone out there ridden both? Which handles better?
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:26 AM   #143
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Vrod engine not appropriate...

It's both too heavy and WAAAY too long for the job.

HD designed the V-Rod for the cruiser buisiness (and an excellentgood motor at that), but because of its cruiser/tourer target, it would be a poor choice for a sportbike powerplant.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:12 AM   #144
christian_gates
Founding Member

Default Re: missing the point

The comparison with the crop duster / 747 is a poor analogy. Even comparing a crop duster to an F-15, or a P-51 for that matter, isn't a useful analogy, because we're talking about one particular application: racing. The 747 is a specifically designed to be a big bus, and the F-15s and P-51s of the world are purpose-built fighters. I will point out that when designing the F-15 to be a nice jet fighter, they did not look back to Whittle's original jet engine design, or the Jumo turbojets from the ME-262. but had the guys at P&W and GE cook up something based on newer technology.

To the matter at hand, though, the Buell's under consideration are race bikes, just like the 600SS bikes against which they performed so well this weekend past. They are similar in type and in general configuration. And this thread wasn't about "fun" or the pleasure of riding something unusual - it was about success on the race track. The facts are clear on this point - liquid cooled engines produce more specific horsepower than air-cooled engines given similar design specs, and more "modern" engine designs, available due to better materials and a body of engineering knowledge allow the construction of a measurably superior motor for racing applications, whether liquid or air cooled.

The funky entertainment value of a hopped-up, but still relatively aged, engine platform has plenty of place on the street, but on the track it's an example of making a point at the expense of victory. Making a point (in this case, that the Buell chassis is great) is fine - but to me, winning races with a reasonable overall package seems to make a lot more sense.

A Buell with a V-4 would be an amazing overall bike, for example, instead of just an impressive chassis with an impressively developed but still aged motor, and would still be unique and interesting. I want to see it have a chance to win some races, and I think a lot of other people do too.

BTW, managing to finish 8th in a race with 2x the displacement isn't all that thrilling. It's like a fat 250 pound guy hopping on one leg finishing 7th out of 8 in a race of 100 meters - sure it's a nice achievement, but it kind of misses the point.

And the idea that it's better than what *you* could manage on some indeterminate bike is a complete non-sequitur. The guys riding the Buell's are pretty talented, just like the guys on the 600ss bikes. The point is the bikes, not the riders, and the verifiable conclusion is that until Buell puts a more sophisticated motor in their bikes, they'll not be as effective on the track as their chassis would suggest.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:54 AM   #146
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Well I have. We own a 2003 GL1800 (and a '97 GL1500, as well as two Buell Cyclones. I have spent serious time on the XB9 and XB12). The GL is an incredible bike. Don't fool yourself, the GL1800 may be a very capable handler but the Buell will leave it in the twisties.

But the Buell is a completely different concept and weighs 40% less than the wing.

What's your point?

Old 05-05-2004, 07:05 AM   #147
DC_1
Registered Member

Default Re: Vrod engine not appropriate...

It'll fit!
DC_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:57 AM   #148
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Love to ***** off car drivers

I just had to add that I love pissing off all those car drivers out there who for some reason think my Buell XB12S with race kit must be some little 250 or 400cc bike or something. Seems like every time I pull up to a light some guy in a new Mustang / Camaro / Corvette etc. just has to race me. My 6'2" frame must make the bike look even smaller then it is.

Anyway I just love to see the frown on their faces at the next light when I just smoked them 0-60 at the last light. That's when I get one of two reactions. They are either looking at the bike trying to figure out what in the hell it is, or they try to ignore me. When I had my 900 Ninja they wouldnÂ’t even challenge me. SoÂ… moral of the story is, if you love pissing on the fragile ego of some of the local car drivers, you canÂ’t do it on a normal crotch rocket, go for the Buell.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #149
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Look who's grumpy.

It means that he's boarding on mental instability. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #150
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: BUELLS NOT BAD EH?

I bet you couldn't ride the Sportster to it's limits either. I think maybe a Honda 50 would suit you. Since any decent rider on a Buell would wax your ass any way you want it waxed, I would refrain from crying about more motor until your skill level exceeds that said crappy motor. You can ask for whaever you like. Just don't ever claim to need it.