Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 05-04-2004, 04:13 PM   #131
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: BUELLS NOT BAD EH?

Buddy of mine just dropped off a reasonably cherry 1970 Yamaha AS1 125 twin two smoker in my garage. Hopefully I'll have her up and smoking soon.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2004, 04:14 PM   #132
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

Heavens!! All this time it was a Sportster that I needed. I lament the fact that I truly must be a squid for wanting more in a motor. I realize now the error of my squidly ways. Dare I ask for more than the heavy clunk of a gear shift or more breadth of powerband? No I do not! Longride, thank you, thank you for setting my people free. Enlighten me daily so as to keep me from falling from atop your high horse.
HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 05:37 PM   #134
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

I find it pathetic that just because I don't like a certain motor it automatically means I don't know how to ride. Oh really, well I used to own a certain 90 degree V-twin, I'll not mention it's name but I believe it has membership with the 3-pronged holy grail of motorcycles. I've outran much sportier bikes with it in the GA mtns. and I realized skill will always outweigh hp. But still, hp can be fun. I think these old men wish they could still get excited about sport bikes. The funny thing is, most modern V-twin sportbikes don't make near the hp as the I-4s do, but many of us deem them worthy because we understand twins just don't put out as much when comparing equal displacement. If the Lightning had put a true 100hp to the rear tire I might be close to forgiveness, but still, try finding neutral. I really like the way Buells sound, the way they look, but I think if you're going to put in a narrow angle twin, make it even larger displacement and give it more torque than anything else out there and give it a wider powerband. But hey, I'm just squid, what do I know?
HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 06:17 PM   #136
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, I did...

I was at Infineon this weekend and did the same test: I rode an XB12S followed by a Tuono. Same route, about 1/2 hour on each bike.

No question. If I had to buy one, it'd be the Tuono. Similar reasons to what nweaver said: better motor, tranny, seating position , higher perceived quality. I had more fun on the Aprilia. It's a really cool bike.

However, I did enjoy the XB12S. It definitely had character and attitude. I wouldn't want to tour on it, and I wouldn't pay 11K for one, but if Buell wanted to lend me one for a month I'd be happy to give it a good thrashing! I think it would make a decent play bike.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:15 PM   #137
dnakase
Founding Member

One fewer Buell owner:

SAN DIEGO -- A motorcyclist who careened off a Mission Valley overpass died Monday after falling 60 feet and hitting a Dave & Busters Restaurant, the California Highway Patrol said.

Images: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/slidesho...=1&dm=ss&p=news

The motorcyclist was on the Interstate 8 west, merging onto the Interstate 805 north, when he lost control and hit a guardrail around 1:30 p.m., said CHP officer Mark Gregg. The motorcycle stayed on the highway, while the man fell over the guardrail, glancing off the restaurant before landing in a commercial parking lot.

Investigators believe the motorcyclist was driving too fast to properly negotiate the interchange, which curves sharply.

A witness who happened to be in the parking lot when the motorcyclist fell, told NBC 7/39 he tried to help the man. When it became obvious he couldn't do anything, he prayed with the man.

Medics pronounced the 50-year-old man dead at the scene. Authorities have not yet released his name.
dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:16 PM   #138
bmwclay
Founding Member

maybe keep it all Harley and cram in the V-Rod motor into the XB-9R
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM   #139
schizuki
Founding Member

>well-documented in the anals of

>this website

You're right, most posters here ARE pulling their opinions out of their a$$es.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:28 AM   #140
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: A note from Eric Buell to cyclesteve

Yes I did sell the SV for the Buell XB9S. I am also happy I did. Not a bit of sellers remourse. You want pictures? Is it hard to believe I would buy the Buell that has more torque, and handles better and sell the SV? The question seems why wouldnt I buy one?

As I said I am a self proclaimed Harley hater since the 70's. Ride a Buell. I thought it was a piece of crap till I did.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote