Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 04-12-2004, 05:18 PM   #71
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: She's look incredibly cute on a Monster

I think you're right seruzawa. Is it possible that kp is a clandestine Bush operative? Despite the fact that GW is slightly futher down my list than Micheal Moore, kp actually has me considering a Bush vote. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2004, 05:56 PM   #72
glgray81
Founding Member

Default Re: Long term reliability of Buell lightning?

Man, this thread doesn't seem to be helping much. First off, I appreciate all the comments and help. It just seems that for every one person that has had a great buell, there is one person that has had problems. I guess to clarify, my wife wants to get away from cruisers, and the lightning is the only thing thus far she can stand flat-footed with. The warrior is a sweet bike, but a tad heavy for her. Thanks for the tips on the monster 620. She prefers the looks of that, especially the dark, over the lightning. Only downside is inusurance is more for the duc, but it's either gonna be more for the bike and cheaper insurance, and reversed. Gonna pay either way I guess. Thanks for all your help, guys!
glgray81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:14 PM   #73
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Two other things I thought about

1. If you will notice not one person who actually owns a new XB series Buell has said they had a problem, big difference between it and the older ones almost to the point of not even being from the same company.

2. The clutch is a little heavy on the Buell XB. But, I found that if I keep the cable freshly lubed it helps, still it's still heavier then either of the Japanese bikes I have owned. Bottom line, make sure she has pulled in on the clutch a few times to make sure it's not too heavy for her.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #74
nweaver
Founding Member

A: Don't discount the SV650, its SMALL, cheap, and an amazing pocket-sportbike.

B: State Farm for insurance, they write based on displacement and they are cheap on motorcycle policies, esp for full coverage. A 610 Ducati would be very cheap to insure.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:52 PM   #75
jonlich
Founding Member

Another Two Cents:

I have not owned a Buell so I can`t say anything from first-hand experience regarding those bikes, but I will point out that a long warranty is not indicative of good reliability, rather, just the opposite. In reading the postings regarding your question, I have noticed many posters pointing out the 2 year warranty as a positive point for Buell. While it is certainly a good thing if you actually buy one, you may want to think again about whether a long warranty is necessarily a good selling point.

I work in the automotive industry and have noticed that the companies with the worst percieved quality/reliability record are the ones offering 10 year/ 100,000 mile warranties. Companies do this when they are:

1- Trying to build a market presence when they are an unknown quantity to the consumer - i.e. Kia, Hyundai, etc.

2- Trying to repair a percieved quality/reliability issue in the market - Mitsubishi, Chrysler in the early eighties when they were bailed out by Uncle Sam and had to start all over.

When companies start advertising their new, improved, longer warranties, big red flashing lights go off in my head. If you compare warranties, Honda, Toyota, or any of the Japanese bike brands will invariably have the worst warranty coverage, but that is because they have successfully built confidence in the market that their products are reliable enough that a long warranty is unnecessary. This can only be done by selling products that actually are reliable and of high quality. In the long term, it is nearly impossible to fool the entire market into believing your product is good if it isn`t.

As for your dilema, I would recommend a Suzuki SV-650, GS 500, Kawasaki Ninja 500, 250 or any number of smaller bikes that, for the money, you won`t be able to touch with a buell. With the money saved, you can have the seat modified to lower it with no problem.

Once again, just my two cents.
jonlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:09 PM   #76
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: DOH!

God, that's funny.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:17 PM   #77
itsings
Founding Member

Default test ride! :)

I heard a commercial the other day that April was "test month" or something at buell dealers. I was even thinking of going and taking a spin myself just for fun.

Though for my two cents go for the Honda 599 hornet. Taking the bomb proof CBR600F3 engine and creating a sport standard was a stroke of genious a long time comming! (in the US) It may be perhaps the best all around streetbike for sale IMO...
itsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:58 PM   #78
BrokenLink
Founding Member

The Bush Campaign's strategy on taxes is to convince America that John Kerry wants to raise them. Right now **** Cheney is pushing an absurd distortion that John Kerry wants to raise taxes by $1.7 trillion dollars.

In fact, John Kerry wants to lower taxes for 98% of Americans while seeking fiscal discipline by repealing the budget-busting tax cuts Bush gave to the richest Americans making over $200,000 a year.

BrokenLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:03 PM   #79
BrokenLink
Founding Member

Excellent point nweaver. I don't see how you can beat the SV for fun, cheap and reliable. I like the Monster though.
BrokenLink is offline   Reply With Quote