Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 04-12-2004, 04:46 AM   #21
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Long term reliability of Buell lightning?

Come on over to the Buell-XB yahoo group. They are a hoot to ride in 100% twisty roads. But not a lot of fun in anything else. I think they are grossly overpriced. and the young lady will develop some hand grip strength that will put you in a world of pain if used incorrectly. I think a lowered SV naked would work the best.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2004, 04:52 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default She's look incredibly cute on a Monster

I can't speak to the reliability of the XB line. My Harleys have always been rock solid.

Run her down to the Ducati dealer and don't look back.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 AM   #23
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: She's look incredibly cute on a Monster

So how do you like the new MV Buz? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:13 AM   #24
Redux
Founding Member

Default An easier option?

My buddy's wife is only about 5'3". She had a YZF600R but was a little intimidated by the seat height. Instead of trading or altering the bike, she searched for and found riding boots with heels about an inch thinker than normal. Not really "high heels" but enough to let her flatfoot at redlights. Don't know brand name unfortunately. Nice look boots tho.

Cheaper than maint costs of Buell

Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:28 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: She's look incredibly cute on a Monster

I'm still running her in so I haven't had a chance to let her rip yet. It is a stunning machine and the effort to make every little part beautiful and harmonious in the total design is apparent.

The motor rips and has a vaguely Ferrari-esque sound to it. I believe Ferrari helped with the development of this motor. Even though I'm rpm limited it still wheelies with the greatest of ease.

The suspenstion tracks wonderfully through the corners but can beat you up over rough streets. I'm going to have to get fatter because there isn't enough padding in the piece of cardboard that is called a seat on this thing.

Once she's completely broken in, I'll ride up to Torrance and let Sean record an all gear dyno run (as long as he promises not to drop it off the dyno, right sean?) for you listening pleasure.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:37 AM   #26
nosajwols
Founding Member

Sounds like she needs a Ducati Monster.
nosajwols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:08 AM   #27
johnnyb
Founding Member

Good choice on the Buell, I am keeping my eyes peeled for a low miles XB9s myself... know what I do when I want to know how a thing holds up? I call a few dealers and ask to talk to the service manager. Being un-salespeople mostly, they will usually totally give you the scoop. I think you'll find that beginning with the Blast, Buell reliability took a big step forward.

Amazing how people will parrot what they've read. Yes, they shake at idle, but there's nothing much smoother once rolling along. and if the wifey is smallish, she will dig the low seat, supershort wheelbase, etc.–tho the clutch might be a bit of a pull if she's as effeminate as most motojournalists.

johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:27 AM   #28
305Bill
Founding Member

My wife is also looking for a new ride and also faces the same seat height dilema. She is looking at the BMW F650CS and the Ducati 620. The Duck is about $3000 cheaper than the Buell. If she's serious about the Buell then she needs to demo ride one at a dealer or at any major AMA race.. I rode both versions of the XB9 and all I can say is that its very lightweight but has a heavy clutch and doesn't shift well.
305Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:28 AM   #29
Tigercub
Founding Member

I had a difficult time choosing theTriumph Speed 4 over the Buell. The earlier Sportster engined Buells worked great - I loved the feel of their motors and they weren't at all intimidating like the crotch rockets - except that the gearbox wouldn't let me engage neutral and this was annoying. I used to have a 750 Virago and frankly I don't see how someone can hop off of that bike and onto a sport bike. They are very different in feel and ride whatever manufacturer you go with. I would think there are plenty of Jap cruisers to choose from that will feel a lot like the Virago if you really need to upgrade. What's wrong with the Virago? Is she bored with it?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:58 AM   #30
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I am a pretty short guy (5'6") and was seriously considering a Buell Cyclone or Lightning X1 (still a lot of new 2002 and 2003 models out there) to upgrade my Nighthawk 750. But after I actually got on few different bikes and experienced how heavy they felt, I determined that (for me) being able to have both feet flat on the ground wasn't as big an issue as I thought it would be and am now the proud, tickled-pink owner of a naked '03 Suzuki SV1000. For me, the long-term reliability issue outweighed me keeping both feet on the ground while reaching for the stars.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote