Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 08-04-2003, 01:19 PM   #31
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default You asked for it

Conquered?

That's like me vanquishing two puppies in mortal combat.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2003, 01:20 PM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: You asked for it

oops your right should of left out the Iraq thing
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:10 PM   #33
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell VS Other Sport Bike Real World Experiences

I demoed an M2 and S1 a few years back. They were the best damn Norton that Norton didn't make. The shaking at idle is there to surprise you at how smooth it is at speed. Odd though, when I brought each bike back to the shop I couldn't get either one into neutral.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:17 PM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: See?

No but my wife says I have a memory problem. Trouble is she has extra gig on the average female. She remembers every stupid thing I have done and every bad word.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:51 PM   #35
RRocket
Founding Member

I had the opportunity to ride a 1998 Honda VTR1000 with a new Buell on the street. Since both bikes are twins,it made for an interesting comparo. Both of us riders were of equal skill and weight. We switched back and forth and compared notes. Here's what we found:

1) The new Buell, even compared to a 1998 Honda seemed quite crude in comparison. Vibration, harshness, and fit and finish were not up to par with the 5 year old Honda.

2) The Honda had an edge in HP, but the Buell felt a touch torquier, but mainly down really low. The Honda easily pulled away from the Buell.

3) The Honda seemed easier to toss around. The Buell, while not difficult to toss around felt "quirkier". It felt odd, and you weren't immediately comfortable with the handling. But once you got the "feel" for the bike, it handled fine. The "feel" reminded me of the 1st time I rode a 1985 GSXR750. You kind of sit on top of the bike.

4) Braking was good on both bikes. No complaints.

5) Over a long haul, the Hondas ergos are MUCH better than the Buells. The Buell would be best suited for boulevard crusing. The Honda was plush in comparison.

6) Price. Honda, hands down! New VTRs are $10,800 CDN. The new Buell is $16,000CDN. Ouch. A used VTR is $7,000. If you REALLY need to have a Buell to be different, than buy the Buell. But for the money, it's just not a good bike. If you don't factor in what the $16K buys you, it's a pretty good bike. Factor in the price, and it..well...mediocre, at best. I'll try to answer other questions if I can. Thanks..
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:40 PM   #36
gbrummett
Founding Member

Which Buell did you ride?

What country are you in?

A brand new 2003 Buell XB9S is only $6,999 right across the street at Chandler Harley Buell here in Arizona.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:32 PM   #37
pushrod
Founding Member

Oh fer the love of Mike...

Sean, please take a stock XB9S and a stock something else to the Streets, and do a comparo. Maybe get another rider or three, and we will get a couple of things:

1) The end of this ceaseless dialogue about "how good is the Buell, really?", and

b) Satisfaction for all the guys b1tchin' about the lack of comparos on the site.

Thanks heaps!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:10 PM   #38
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I'll take that back about gas mileage. My wife has a 89' Yamaha 600yx Radian and she averaged 63 mpg and I only got a little over 50 mpg on a recent 1200 trip. Of course we were only doing 60 to 65 mph and my electraglide was loaded down and I had my 11 year old son behind me. But I have read that Buells get great gas mileage.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:14 PM   #39
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default I demo'd some Buells

a few years ago at the Kansas City open house. Funnest bike and demo I ever rode on. They took us out in a pack and the demo leader road b*lls out, at least for me. About a 1/2 hr ride of pure adrenaline. I loved that bike and it was fuel injected. Buells are pure fun.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:18 PM   #40
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: More New Info on Power and Reliability

What scares me is that Bush is still running around playing President.