Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 08-04-2003, 05:56 AM   #11
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: Somebody's gotta do it

Wasn't that conundrum already solved? I did see a '00 Concours(the blue ones) with color matched painted bags and flames on it in Sturgis for sale. I about traded the Magna for it

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2003, 06:16 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Buell VS Other Sport Bike Real World Experiences

It is great to hear about new found quality of the new Buells. I demoed a Cyclone over a year ago. At idle the shaking was distracting. Once the bike was going the shaking settled down. I loved the sound and the low end torque was great.

The new 1200 motor is a step in the right direction, although most of us couldn't push the 9R to its limits on the street. Since most of us don't spend 90% our time on the track that's great. The two year warranty was great move. I am still keeping a wait and see attititude. Once I am sure Buell has solved the reliability problem I going to demo a black 12R. I love the looks of the new Buells and I appreciate Eric Buell's commitment to improve quality and reliability. The old Buells were like bad girls tempting your soul. But the new Buells may be the girl you take home.

However, because racing involves speed above 110 mph, I still think twins are dead in racing. But that's OK. For the rest of us maybe a V-Twin is just right for the Sunday morning ride. It's great to see an American alternative.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:26 AM   #13
KPaulCook
Banned

Default On the verge of conversion?

Na it's OK after being smoked by a few riders on "inferior" bikes to my Ninja, I totally agree. My favorite road has speed limit of 40. I am sure the Buell Firebolt would be a fun ride on this road. The low end torque would be fun to use. My Ninja I keep reved up 7000+ on this road. I would never go past 100 on the street so the Buell limits is really no concern to the average rider.

In addition the lower maintenance costs of the Buell have to be considered. Self adjusting valves and fuel injection are I am sure cheaper to my 8000 mi valve checks and carb synchros. I would love to have a bike that all I had to do was change the oil and check the spark plug once in while.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:33 AM   #14
runner00
Founding Member

I don't think Buells are designed to be stupid fast. There is a point where a sport bike no longer functions properly on public highways.

I don't think Buell is interested in putting out a track bike that can be used on the street but rather a street bike that could be used on the track if so desired. It's a focused machine. The focus is the street. Thats where most of us ride. With most top of the line sport bikes the focus is the track.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:39 AM   #15
KPaulCook
Banned

Thanks for the post. As a potential Buell customer its good to hear about the good reliability you have had. Also since I would rarely ride over 90 mph your perspective is appreciated
Old 08-04-2003, 07:44 AM   #16
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Grey Ponytailed Poseurhood?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:00 AM   #17
KPaulCook
Banned

I think my sophmore year (of riding) is about over. Can't go cruiser yet much less Harley. But my price/performance preaching days are over. Yeah Yeah you told me so oh great wise one.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:11 AM   #18
kawazuki
Founding Member

Ha ha ha. I saw that movie at the dollar theatre last night too. Man that was a horrible movie.

I'm not so sure about your claim that the torquier bikes get better highway mileage. Though, in my admittedly unscientific study of the situation there are a lot of unresolved variables. I have a '02 Yamaha Warrior and it gets fairly lousy mileage (28 - 32 mpg) whereas most of my friends who ride I-4 sportbikes get closer to 45 mpg.

Obviously, the factors of throttle heavyhandedness, fairings, time spent on the freeway and what speed travelled are not taken into consideration here, this is mostly a straw poll set of numbers. Overall displacement has a factor too; I probably shouldn't be hoping for too much from a pushrod, aircooled, 1700cc twin in the mileage department.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:07 AM   #19
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default More New Info on Power and Reliability

Just looked at, heaven forbid one of the new paper mags on the news stands and found some interesting information.

Power: Apparently word is leaking out that the XB12's are putting out 93 to 95 rear wheel horsepower on dyno tests and that the 103 at the crank is a very conservative statement. Also both bikes have at least a 140-mph top end. Only time will tell but I'm hoping that at last we will have a bike from Buell that will circle the shorter tighter "StreetÂ’s Of Willow Springs" about as fast any bike.

Reliability: Word is out also that of the lead Buell engineer's goals was to make the new XB12's the most reliable bike on the planet. The new Buell bikes were pushed along with other makes to failure and the Buell's were lasting longer. Only time will tell.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:32 AM   #20
SmokeU
Registered Member

My 750 Magna doesn't get for shyt mileage either, but my old 87 1100 shadow with now 95,000 miles still gets 50mpg all day if you are WFO or putts along. Course I've got a lot more power though so maybe that's something.