Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 07-18-2003, 07:54 AM   #21
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Three Buell Owners Speak

"Maybe we can get some uninformed opinions to counter your experience? "

That would be me. These are just types of Posts that make MO special. From real owners with questions from the curous possible new customers like me.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2003, 08:16 AM   #22
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

77, according to MO's last test of the Firebolt.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:18 AM   #23
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Cooling and reliability.

"My Lightning shakes like a prisoner being electrocuted."

Classic. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 07-18-2003, 08:31 AM   #24
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: All bikes are liquid cooled.

Although both oil and water are liquids, water has a much higher heat-transfer capability. I recall reading it was around 3x better at transferring heat, which concerned me back when I owned an '86 GSXR1100. Oil cooling helps, but it can't compare with water cooling; I'm not suggesting that Buells run too hot - I'll leave that to others with personal experience - but it's a mistake to equate the two very different types of "liquid" cooling.

Another point to consider, in addition to possible oil breakdown, (that's probably not a concern with modern synthetic oils), is how it feels to ride the bike when stuck in hot riding conditions (traffic, hills, hot days, etc.). I don't think my Aprilia Mille R runs any hotter than my KTM Duke II, but I sure notice the heat more when sitting in traffic on a hot day. This is no doubt due to the fairing and larger motor, but the end result is that it's not much fun to ride in town, even though the engine's probably not being hurt by warmish operating temps. I've never had a desire to ride a Buell - they remind me too much of a John Deere tractor - but the relatively open engine might make them less uncomfortable even when running on the warm side. On the other hand, the exposed exhaust pipes might make more of a difference.

As for the Honda vs. Buell reliability question - should Hondas be suspect due to Yuasa battery failures? Do Buells use Die-Hards (tm)?

Just my 2 cents - I think I'd feel better about Buell reliability after they've been on the road longer, and I'm surprised no one's mentioned the many recalls they've had.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:39 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Insurance is important too

I've never checked what my rates would be with a Japanese sportbike but I'm sure my H-D and Duc are way cheaper.

I've got 100/300 full coverage with $1000 deductible. My ST4 is $34/month and the geezer glide is $41/month. I'll bet the Buell would be in that range.

I checked out Buell's website and they have a dyno chart posted for the race kit and it claims mid 80's for hp with a noticeably flatter torque curve. Nice. The 12s should be close to 95 or so at the rear wheel with a similar kit.

I'd be interested in one but it would have to be a second bike for sure. Not enough range for me and no place to put a passenger and her stuff.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:16 AM   #26
sqidbait
Founding Member

Excellent post. Thanks!

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:33 AM   #27
maladg
Registered Member

Great to hear positive feedback from Buell owners. More choices about which bike to lust after and scheme to buy..now that is a problem that I like!

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:33 AM   #28
reepicheep
Founding Member

The speedo sensor failures will only show up on the older bikes (pre XB9) and the original XB9R's. All XB9S's and all the 2004 models will have the problem fixed.

Further, if you have a blown sensor, I would *strongly* suggest you wait a couple weeks before heading down to your friendly neighborhood harley dealer and ordering the replacement part... and then make sure you don't get old stock

Buy the XB. You will love it.
reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:41 AM   #29
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Still curious as to the tank range. Sounds like it should be in the neighbohood of 150 miles. Is that about right Buell owners?
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:25 AM   #30
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Insurance cost on my Ninja

PreTicket with $100 deductible ($500,000 combined) is $110/month on my Ninja

After ticket who knows? Think I am over insured but my wife insists on the higher coverage. She is studying to be a paralegal. She says only a $100,000 liability coverage is unrealistic now, given litigation costs. I suspect insurance with your coverage is still probable $70+ a month
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote