Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 07-18-2003, 05:48 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Three Buell Owners Speak

Good post from a real owner. Maybe we can get some uninformed opinions to counter your experience?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2003, 05:52 AM   #12
gbrummett
Founding Member

Thanks!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 06:32 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

Looks like the XB9's are holding up well, If they can handle serious riding in that kind of heat I don't think they'll have trouble anywhere else.

Your post shows Buell reliability issues are history

What kind of oil are you using? The hottest it gets around here is upper 90's and I use Mobil 1 mx4t 10~40 in my previous a/o cooled Suzuki and my current w/c Triumph.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 06:58 AM   #14
Hector1
Founding Member

Default Re: Cooling and reliability.

I have a 99 Buell Lightning X1. I only have about 8,000 miles on it. I have added a K&N filter, and an updated Supertrapp muffler.

Honestly, the bike isn't that fast, but it is fun to ride. I'm really interested in the new XB's for all the same reasons everyone else is. Looks, uniqueness, etc...

I currently work overseas for the U.N. Mission in Kosovo, (remember that little adventure back in '99) so I haven't been able to ride much in the last couple of years. A colleague here said he rode an XB 9R and it was a great handler, fairly smooth and reasonably quick.

My Lightning shakes like a prisoner being electrocuted. I would keep this in mind if considering the XB 12, which is basically the same motor as my Lightning. I've have read and been told that the 9's are a lot smoother than the tube framed Buells.

I would buy the XB 9 if I were you.
Hector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:10 AM   #15
Hector1
Founding Member

95 horsepower!! How you do that? I thought that the race kit from Buell was worth about 10 hp max. What does a stock XB 9 put out at the rear wheel anyway?
Hector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:23 AM   #16
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Range?

Same as SmokeU. How far will she go?

I've ridden the 9s and 9r; to my surprise, liked the 9r waaaay better. Can't wait to ride the 12r.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:30 AM   #17
dsouthard
Registered Member

Default Yet another XB9R owner....

XB9R with a shade over 7K miles. Daily commuting and a rare sporty ride. East Bay area (temp is around 101 deg. today, typical for this time of year).

My experiences so far:
<ul>[*]Two recalls -- a sidestand recall and wheel bearings. Neither was a problem for me prior to the recall (but I'm sure someone, somewhere had an issue).[*]No oil drops on the garage floor, no oil level changes on the dipstick, no blue smoke pouring from the canister.[*]Had one mirror begin to loosen up in the first 500 miles. Afer tightening it's been fine.[*]Speedo has gone dead twice. The second time was the week after it got back from the first "fix", so I'm not sure if there is an actual problem or just a sleepy tech at the shop. Doesn't effect the tach or the rest of the cluster, so it would appear to be a loose connector somewhere. [Wheelies or stoppies fix the problem temporarily, though it's not the kind of fix that's CHiP-approved.][/list]

For comparison, I had a Buell Blast that leaked oil, and a friend's X1 that literally burned a qt/week, so I was definitely suspicious of the reliablity that I'd get from the XB9R - especially when I've owned Kaw's and a Honda that were all rock-solid and there are so many other nice bikes that I'd like to own (VRF, SV650, R6, R1150S or RT). And I was very careful during the 500mi break-in. But so far, so good.

Only changes I've made are replacing the pegs with the lower pegs from the S. Cost is something like $25 and it makes the bike much more comfortable for anyone who looks down on JohnnyB. [I'm 6'3", so the lower pegs combined with the longer reach to the R's clip-ons makes for a comfy ride -- the altitude challenged may prefer the stock pegs or the S model.]

Overall, the bike's been great, best I've owned. My comute is 25 miles, about 5 of which are in-town and the rest either interstate or rural. The XB9R has enough beans to easily cruise through higher speed parts, and the low-end torque is great through city traffic (noticably quicker in the 0-30 department than a friends R6, even though the later would soundly spank me at a track). Handling is excellent, and it's narrow enough to lane-split anyplace I can walk. Milage is usually around 50mpg, and there's no valve adjustments, chain futzing, or anything else. Insurance cost is almost nothing. Put in gas and go.

So, yeah, it's a keeper.
dsouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:44 AM   #18
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post

Excellent Post you covered everthing I wanted to know from a real Buell owner

Great to hear that your newer Buells are doing well. I think the additional year on the warranty will go a long way to alleviate reliability fears from possible new customers.

I love the looks of the Firebolt and the new bigger engine makes me drool. But after reading your post I may give the 9 a try as well.

I love the fact maintnance costs and insurance is lower. $400 valve checks etc give bikes like my Ninja a big disadvantage. I would love to have a bike were I could change the oil every 3000 miles and forget about it.

I think I am passing the sophmoric phase of motorcycling where I need the fastest bag for the buck and these new Buells are attractive to me.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:44 AM   #19
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post

Excellent Post you covered everthing I wanted to know from a real Buell owner

Great to hear that your newer Buells are doing well. I think the additional year on the warranty will go a long way to alleviate reliability fears from possible new customers.

I love the looks of the Firebolt and the new bigger engine makes me drool. But after reading your post I may give the 9 a try as well.

I love the fact maintnance costs and insurance is lower. $400 valve checks etc give bikes like my Ninja a big disadvantage. I would love to have a bike were I could change the oil every 3000 miles and forget about it.

I think I am passing the sophmoric phase of motorcycling where I need the fastest bag for the buck and these new Buells are attractive to me.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:52 AM   #20
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Yet another XB9R owner....

Great post. Your commute sounds very much like mine. 20% in-town. Love the looks of the Bolt. You make a great point "Milage is usually around 50mpg, and there's no valve adjustments, chain futzing, or anything else. Insurance cost is almost nothing. Put in gas and go. "

Got go try one.