Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 07-30-2002, 11:33 AM   #31
mattg
Founding Member

Default Re: New for 2003 Buell Stuff

If you want to stand out in the crowd, Buell is definately the way to go. Harley has really got to start paying attention to what people are saying though. Porsche helped out on the v-rod engine. Why can't they lend a hand in a new Buell engine? It's not practical to put the revolution engine in because it's just too heavy, so find a way to downsize it. And the sportster engine has just about hit the limits of it's capabilities. Increase the power and nail down the reliability problems. The investment made on these two items would probably lead to a nice payoff in the long run.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2002, 12:20 PM   #32
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Try to imagine being Eric Buell ....

Harley: "We want you to build the ultimate sportbike, with state of the art frame, suspension, and brakes. Let your engineers run wild. Think out of the box. No sacred cows. Breakthrough designs. Go for it, Eric. The sky is the limit!"

Buell: "SMOKin!"

Harley: "But it's got to have a Sporster engine."

Buell: "Errrrgggg .... " (followed by the sound of a body slumping to the floor.

Give Eric his props ... he has done a stellar job in developing a cool sportbike around an engine better suited to pulverizing kidney stones than shredding apexes. But for God's sake, can you imagine how good his bikes would be with, say, a Suzuki TL motor? Until the mill is upgraded I can only say, "I wouldn't hit my dog in the butt with a Buell."
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:24 PM   #33
JOHN3COM
Founding Member

What Happenned? Did some pissed off fired H-D accountants take Eric out for a bender?

They really put the Lightning/Vrod treatment to this thing.

Buel had a winner. The ergo changes are welcome, but this bike lost its distinctivness. Im assumming they raised the price as well...

John2
JOHN3COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:28 PM   #34
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell engines

I share your desire to see Buell move to the next level as far as engine technology. I just hope it's not at the expense of character. I love my creaky old 1200 tractor-engined Buell. I can choose from a number of great-performing modern engined machines, but I bought the Buell because it has balls and character. I would hate to see them lose that because it's the intangibles that make it a great ride.

The engine in the new Buells is NOT the Evolution Sportster engine. It is so completely re-vamped and re-engineered that it should be considered a new powerplant.

The Blast, which shares basically 1/2 the XB's engine, has proven to be hardy and reliable. Anyway, Buell's reliability/recall issues were never with the engines.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:11 PM   #35
mattg
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell engines

I was referring to reliability in general as I am aware that the problems are not with the engines. My bad for not clarifying. So far as the engines go I would not suggest losing their character as that is a very important part of identity, I am suggesting a modernizing. These engines may be heavily re-worked but still call the sportster engine dad. An entirely new platform is what I suggest, and this can be done without sacrificing any character so long as that is considered to be one of the engineering goals. If Buell is to have an engine that can keep up with the handling expectations they have, this may be the only option.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:25 PM   #36
itchface
Founding Member

XB9S is quite comely,

unfortunately I'll have to pass.

The seat was designed very dumbly,

no space for my sweetie's large ass!

Just in case she dumps me though (a certainty if she reads this post!), anyone know the retail price? Are XB9R's generally selling at around MSRP?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:27 PM   #37
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Try to imagine being Eric Buell ....

LOL Good one
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 02:24 PM   #38
blasterX
Founding Member

soap dish shelf must go! I like everything else. I think it looks kick ass.
blasterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:03 PM   #39
daparks
Founding Member

Anyone else notice some Speed Triple/Four influence?

Seems a little more reasonable ergo wise than the Firebolt, but I'll bet Firebolt sales suffer as a result. If I'd bought a Firebolt, I think I'd be pissed seeing this bike.

Same power, wheelbase, price etc. but less of a torture rack.
daparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:01 PM   #40
desertbilly
Founding Member

I think this is a good move for Buell, at least partially. The Firebolt has some geat innovations, and this appears to be an attempt to make it more mainstream, with broader utility and appeal. Unfortunately, I think they've hurt themselves (assuming their objective is to sell motorcycles) in two ways.

The first is the seat and rear fender. The pillion seat looks almost homicidal, especially for a bike with strong acceleration. The rear rack (?) falls in the what-were-they-smoking category. This does not appear to be a very practical bike.

The second is the price. At $9,995, it's $1500 more than an FZ-1 and $2,000 more than a 919. It's also $4,000 more than the lesser-powered, but still revered SV650. All three of which have dramatically better records of versatility, after-market support, dealer support and reliability.

Does this mean I think this is a bad bike? No, but I don't think it's going to sell very well. Maybe at $7,495 more people would take a chance on it, but $10k will buy a lot more bike than this elsewhere.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote