Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > BMW

Old 09-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
BMWGSRider
Registered Member

Question All weather rider; Riding Your GS Year Around?

Hello Everyone,

So far, my BMW R1200GS has been great to ride (but of course!). I bought the bike because of it's ability to handle both on and off road situations, and because it's a quality motorcycle. However, I also bought the bike because I'm thinking about riding it almost year around (I can't ride in the snow, but every other month).

I was wondering if you are riding your GS year around (what months) and what you would recommend for someone that has not (yet).

Thank You,

Eric
BMWR1200GS.com
BMWGSRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Well, I suppose it depends on where you live, and how crazy you are.

I live in the Sunny SouthEast, and I ride year 'round. 'Course, when it gets below 60 I have to take special measures...

Snarli is in the opposite corner of the U.S. of A, and he rides year 'round, but he is part amphibian.

We have a couple of guys in the NorthEast that ride any time they can see pavement, which (if I remember rightly from when I was a kid at Griffis AFB) is July.

LR (in the Windy City) rides yuear 'round too, but he's nuts.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

There's no reason at all that you can't ride year 'round. In fact there's a web site devoted to it! Read through it and you'll find guys in Alaska, the midwest, and the northeast who have their bikes set up for snow, too.

Rounders

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
12er
Founding Member

Get an aerostich 2 piece roadcrafter, pick up the heated jacked on their site with the BMW plug adapter and some fleece accessories (pants). I've commuted down to 18F on my K12RS. Crank up the jacket and your grips, pick up a fogcity face shield and find a good pair of winter gloves. Place the gauntlets of your gloves UNDER your sleeves and cinch your sleeves down tight OVER the gauntlets. You may want to look into a larger wind screen as an option. Ride ride ride.

Last edited by 12er : 09-25-2008 at 10:52 AM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you value your life, you WILL NOT ride in the snow in a metropolitan area no matter what people on this or any other site say. Cold is one thing, but snow and ice is quite another. Just because you can stop doesn't mean the 18 wheeler or SUV behind you can. That is why you 4 wheel it in the snow. Other than that, cold can be taken care of with the right gear, especially heated gear.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

LR is correct, snow or black Ice, stick to 4 wheels.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I didn't know that you could ride GSes year round. I only see them in nice weather on paved roads. I did see a lot of them in Moab last spring but sadly never on any adventurous roads.

The Hummer of the motorcycle world.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I didn't know that you could ride GSes year round. I only see them in nice weather on paved roads. I did see a lot of them in Moab last spring but sadly never on any adventurous roads.

The Hummer of the motorcycle world.
I consider the GS the best touring bike out there. Granted it cant handle the whoops like your Wing but a set of jesse bags and larger luggage rack and your ready for the world. Upright, comfortable, great lean angle, excellent handling, ABS, power sockets, good wind protection, potholes be d@mned, etc. Unlike the Hummer it gets decent mileage and will hang with 90% of the bikes out there on the pavement.

I don't understand living where you do that you don't have one already. Then again my K12 has handled many o dirt road.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I consider the GS the best touring bike out there. Granted it cant handle the whoops like your Wing but a set of jesse bags and larger luggage rack and your ready for the world. Upright, comfortable, great lean angle, excellent handling, ABS, power sockets, good wind protection, potholes be d@mned, etc. Unlike the Hummer it gets decent mileage and will hang with 90% of the bikes out there on the pavement.

I don't understand living where you do that you don't have one already. Then again my K12 has handled many o dirt road.
I have a DR400 for playing around more seriously on dirt roads. But I think that a Tiger is likely in the next couple of years. I just like the Trumpets more than Beemers. My comment about the GS has nothing to do with the competence of the bike itself. It seems that 99% of GS owners are styling posers just like most race replica owners. I mean it when I say that I never see them anywhere adventurous. That seems to be mostly limited to the KLRers... of which I see plenty around Moab on the dirt and crappy asphalt roads.

If one is going to ride on decent paved roads only then IMHO the R1200R is a much better choice because of the lower CofG. Another friend of mine had a GS and sold if for an R1100R. He likes it a lot better on dirt roads too because of the lower CofG.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

The Tiger is at the top of my list currently. But then again I havent demo'd one yet. Rode the GS, KTM and Uly, the GS was the most refined but didnt stir the soul at all. Did everything perfectly but no tuning fork went off like the on the KTM or the Uly. Uly was a blast till that redline jumped out of nowhere, cannot see myself retraining to short shift so its out. KTM was awesome but the mech at the shop mentioned it is the maintenance queen of the trio. With that the Tiger is looking like the best of all worlds, though not really meant to leave the pavement. Still assume it to ride a little better on the fire roads than my k12. All moot anyway, I dont have the cash and I'm not taking another loan out. Come on Tooth Fairy!