Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > BMW

Old 12-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
StallionMarine
Registered Member

Cool From Buell X1 Lightning to BMW

I will soon be parting with 1999 Buell X1 Lightning. I enjoyed the handling of this bike but hate the HD inherited unreliability. I have never heard of reliability issues with BMW motorcycles. So my ? is, if I liked the X1, what model BMW would possibly be to my liking? I have never ridden a BMW and am not familiar with the lineup available.
I presume that BMW has the Honda Goldwing rock solid reliability, without the bulk.
Not looking for a tourer, but something nimble.
StallionMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

BMW reliability? LOL.

Google BMW final drive.

Get a Japanese bike.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
StallionMarine
Registered Member

Is the final drive a still problem on the 2006 and later models? I've found most of the rice rockets ungodly uncomfortable. Hoped BMW would be reliable, figured the ergonomics would be good.

I've had a 1975 GL1000 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. Both were bullet proof reliable and low maint. The 75 Gl1000 was my only transportation for a long time. 280,000 miles and the only repair needed was a water pump (dried out seal) and drive shaft. I suppose the drive shaft got thrashed as all my friends were riding crotch rockets and I was pounding the Sled Wing pretty hard riding with them. 1983 Gl1100 needed no repairs at 87,000 miles when I sold it. You can guess I have been beyond digusted with my 99 Buell X1 and 98 HD FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail. If HD built an airplane, I wouldn't fly in it.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The 2006 and newer BMW final drives are still failing. However, most owners don't have a failure, or (if they do) it happens at very high mileage. BMWs are fine motorcycles but just as any bike, they can break.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionMarine View Post
Is the final drive a still problem on the 2006 and later models? I've found most of the rice rockets ungodly uncomfortable. Hoped BMW would be reliable, figured the ergonomics would be good.

I've had a 1975 GL1000 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. Both were bullet proof reliable and low maint. The 75 Gl1000 was my only transportation for a long time. 280,000 miles and the only repair needed was a water pump (dried out seal) and drive shaft. I suppose the drive shaft got thrashed as all my friends were riding crotch rockets and I was pounding the Sled Wing pretty hard riding with them. 1983 Gl1100 needed no repairs at 87,000 miles when I sold it. You can guess I have been beyond digusted with my 99 Buell X1 and 98 HD FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail. If HD built an airplane, I wouldn't fly in it.
You mean like this one?

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

BMWs are about the only shaft drive motorcycle in the entire world that has rear end hub problems. Just consider this when looking at paying the ridiculous overpricing that BMW demands.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
StallionMarine
Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for the info. If I do get another bike, I've eliminated a few from the list. There may be another Sled Wing in the future.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the info. If I do get another bike, I've eliminated a few from the list. There may be another Sled Wing in the future.
I rode one of those once. The engine was like a turbine, and it was remarkably agile for such a giant machine. And whizzing around backwards in reverse was a hoot!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

It's not just the final drive. Local BMW riders have had problems with the integrated data bus, and key fob security system.

When you factor in the price premium you pay for these Teutonic marvels, there is just no excuse.

One of my friends had his 1200GS fail in the middle of the desert, and had to ride double out of the middle of nowhere to rent a truck to get it out.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
Sledpilot
Founding Member

Quote:
Is the final drive a still problem on the 2006 and later models?
the more I hear about new BMWs the more i like my old ones

Quote:
Hoped BMW would be reliable
no complains here, so far all she cost me was rubbers lube and pads. yes the bike, other she needs more

Quote:
figured the ergonomics would be good.
Unlike Japanese dealers, beemer would let you demo the bike before you buy it. yes, used ones too.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 02-16-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: No "Japs" please
Sledpilot is offline   Reply With Quote