Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   BMW (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/bmw/)
-   -   Comments on BMW R1150RT (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/bmw/6700-comments-bmw-r1150rt.html)

Kenneth_Moore 11-02-2007 11:01 AM

Comments on BMW R1150RT

I'm seeking comments on the BMW1150RT from current and previous owners. Maintenance and durability, overall satisfaction, useage, accessories and upgrades, etc. are the type of things I'd like to hear about, in addition to anything else you'd care to share.

Thank you!

BrowningBAR 11-02-2007 11:10 AM

I always liked the design of the model and the Beemers in general during this time period. It was a nice organic shape but with some fun retro fighter plain details in them.

Sorry, though. I've never been on one or was able to afford one at the time. I've got nothing for you, but, I'm guessing your asking cuz you found one at a good price. Well, Good luck, hope it works out.

Motorcycles are like guns; you have more than you need, but never as many as you want.

seruzawa 11-02-2007 11:14 AM

The earlier years had some tranny bearing problems in those early 6 speeds. You might want to check the BMW forums for more specific information. I do know that a friend bought an early 1150RT and had to have some of the bearings replaced.

Kenneth_Moore 11-02-2007 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the one I'm going to check out tomorrow. His price is about $1k over the NADA for it, the bike has 11k miles. He says he has had it serviced at the local dealer, so I can check on that. It's a neat looking bike, and it has the top case and a few other accessories.

12er 11-02-2007 06:27 PM

I was going to buy one but didnt fit on it, ended up with my k12rs instead. Hope that helps ya!

BrowningBAR 11-02-2007 06:36 PM

To big or to small? I'm assuming you mean ergos/footpegs.

Kenneth_Moore 11-02-2007 06:53 PM

Reviews -n- Stuff

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 172716)
The earlier years had some tranny bearing problems in those early 6 speeds. You might want to check the BMW forums for more specific information. I do know that a friend bought an early 1150RT and had to have some of the bearings replaced.

Thst could be quite valuable info. The one I'm seeing tomorrow is an '02, which I believe is the first year after the change from the 1100 series. There is an '04 that's a few grand more I may see too, but it's a couple of hours up the coast. If they had some "teething" problems in the early revisions I'd sure like to avoid them. Dropping a couple extra g's now could be money well spent.

I've been reading lots of reviews and the only consistent gripe I've heard is some minor FI issues. The reviews were mostly on '02's. Somebody at MO did a fairly high level review on one back about then. All the reviewers seemed to like the bike a lot overall, but then, they almost always do.

Buzglyd 11-02-2007 07:15 PM

Hey KM,

I've got quite a few miles under my belt on one. The later models don't have the surging problems of the earlier ones. Great bike to put major miles on. Super plush suspension. They handle better than you think as well.

I don't know what you're looking to spend but I've got a buddy in MN who's looking to sell his (I think it's an '05). He wants to buy a K1200LT.

His is metallic red and it's in great shape with a top case and fancy seat.

Buzglyd 11-02-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 172747)
To big or to small? I'm assuming you mean ergos/footpegs.

Ha! 12er is a gigantor. His foot is about the size of my leg.

BrowningBAR 11-02-2007 08:36 PM

Oh yeah! Now I remember the thread where we commented on his shoes could act as water skis!