Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > BMW

Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #31
bbtowns
Founding Member

Late to the party, but I put about 40K on an R1150RT. Incredibly comfortable bike, livable suspension (not great), decent motor for touring, and a previous poster detailed the surging problems and fix. However those power assisted brakes were the worst (for me). They sucked at low speed, you get used to them at speed, but if/when they fail you'll wish you had drum brakes, or maybe a single conventional rotor/piston up front. Either keep the Connie and buy a Duc, or get another sport tourer. I understand BMW is going away from the "servo assist" brakes, which hopefully allows them to focus on excellent braking and abs, formerly their strengths.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #32
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

It STILL won't never be as cool as a Vespa Scooter done-up in a Coldwar-Era Military Jet paint scheme using gems and glitter paint.

Complete with Sharkmouth...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #33
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The only color for Vespas is either faded pea green or faded creamy yellow under half an inch of ground in diesel soot and brick dust from renovations in Rome and Napoli.. Authenticity is key when it comes to Vespa's

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #34
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
There is no such thing as an annoyingly loud Ducati. Oh, and yes the Termi pipes are loud! Really loud. Harley guys plug their ears when I ride by.

I think Staintune makes a nice set of reverse megaphones for the GT that look great and aren't as obnoxious.

As far as worth it goes, that's an elusive target and has a different meaning for everyone.
I've always enjoyed the contrast in sound at Daytona of the I-4s and the Ducs. A whine versus a roar, if you will.

"Was it worth it" to YOU to add the exhaust in terms of sound enhancement and additional performance? It may be a moot point as I've turned up a red GT with the Termi pipes and chip. It's just arrived at Pure Ducati in FTL. I'm going to visit when I get home Friday.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I've always enjoyed the contrast in sound at Daytona of the I-4s and the Ducs. A whine versus a roar, if you will.

"Was it worth it" to YOU to add the exhaust in terms of sound enhancement and additional performance? It may be a moot point as I've turned up a red GT with the Termi pipes and chip. It's just arrived at Pure Ducati in FTL. I'm going to visit when I get home Friday.
I don't think it adds much more than 5 hp or so but the sound is totally worth it. The stock bikes are so quiet. The 07 models have a wet clutch so no jingle jingle.

The CRG mirrors are a must because the stock mirrors are just plain stupid looking. I also picked up the mini tankbag online.

The tank is plastic so a magnetic bag won't work and the shape of the tank and seat prevented me from using my Marsee non-magnetic bag.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #36
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
The stock bikes are so quiet. The 07 models have a wet clutch so no jingle jingle.
I noticed that with regret in the spec sheet. That dry clutch sound is such a Ducati trademark. Guess I could hang a bell on the frame or something.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #37
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

BTW: Thanks for the feedback on the R1150RT. I don't want one anymore. I sat on one and started it and I thought there was something wrong with the engine. Apparently the "lumpy" idle and wobbly engine motion is normal. It's sort of like the HD I'm getting rid of, I think. An extremely well refined, but many decades old, design. Been there, done that, time for something new. Perhaps their F800 will strike an interest, but I'm not really fond of the styling in the photos. It might look better in person.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
BTW: Thanks for the feedback on the R1150RT. I don't want one anymore. I sat on one and started it and I thought there was something wrong with the engine. Apparently the "lumpy" idle and wobbly engine motion is normal. It's sort of like the HD I'm getting rid of, I think. An extremely well refined, but many decades old, design. Been there, done that, time for something new. Perhaps their F800 will strike an interest, but I'm not really fond of the styling in the photos. It might look better in person.
.... buy something... ANYTHING, fer crissakes!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #39
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
.... buy something... ANYTHING, fer crissakes!
Ever heard the word: "Foreplay?" Besides, I kept the last bike for 15 years and I'd like to repeat that success. And, the guy from Japan doesn't show up till a week from tomorrow, so you'll suffer along for another week! Buwahahahah! Buwahahahahaha! BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Forget all that overpriced BMW crap and just get the C-14. Twisting the throttle on that thing will give you your money's worth every time!