Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > BMW

Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
Victor1239
Registered Member

Default When is it time for a k1300r?

Hi all,

Im always reading stuff on the boards, thought I would ask a question for a change. I'm hoping to get input from some unbiased riders. Have been riding for 2 yrs (weekends mostly) and find that my Suzuki gs500F is no longer doing it for me. Im an extremely mature and (imo)safe driver, not into excessive speed or taking chances. At 42 I am aware of the mortality of man. So I find myself needing a new bike. I do prefer sports bikes over all other styles, however, at 42, too uncomfortable. I had my choices narowed down to Triumph Street Triple and BMW F800ST. I know, different, but similar in upright position and I liked the looks. Bikes are an art form, they gotta look great or whats the point. Loved the Triple (LOVED), felt great, 800ST was too vanilla for me, obviously a well designed bike, but it didnt do it for me in the WOW department. Just as I was about to decide on the Triple, the BMW guy called me about a K1300R. WOW! What a killer bike!!! Looks, power, safety, has it all. I feel that the power may be beyond my skill level, only because I have always subscribed to the start small and work way up. The dealership (who wants to sell bikes obviously) think that this bike would be fine with 2 yrs experience and someone who can not go crazy with the power. It seems to have so many safety features (ABS, traction control, bound brakes, etc) that perhaps it is as safe as me hoping on a 1000cc bike with none of that. Plus its a roadster vs sportbike, which maybe tones down the twitchiness.

Sorry this is so long, I guess the question really is, is that bike suitable or is the dealer just trying to sell it? It "fits" well, but I dont want to test drive it until I get some feedback from a few places.

I really appreciate any thoughts,

Victor
Victor1239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

It's a heavier bike than the other three you mention.

If you get it, make sure to practice your low speed maneuvers (in a parking lot); and emergency swerving/braking, etc.

Not all dealers let you take bikes out for a test ride, so if you can, then you definitely should. Don't compare it to a 1000cc sportbike. And don't consider it a 'safe' bike.

Make sure you check NADA pricing, eBay, and craigslist, before making the dealer an offer.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I just sold a K1200GT which is more or less the same bike power wise. I think you should be OK, there's definitely enough to get you in trouble however it's a very smooth and linear powerband so with a reasonable amount of caution you should be fine..Ditto on the weight, the GT was a real porker with a lot of weight seemingly up high, also the fairly narrow steering arc made low speed maneuvering a chore, that said it was a good handling bike once you got used to the the weight and power characteristics.

The other issue is expense. These are complex bikes and need to be properly maintained, if you're in anyway unsure of what you are doing you'll want to have them serviced at the dealership. The costs are not out of line with any other high end bike but more than your Suzuki. Just something to be aware of.

I'd say go for it myself, if that's the one that floats your boat then nothing else will do.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

Triumph Tiger 800 ('street' or XC).

Unless the K-bike is a steal...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Triumph Tiger 800 ('street' or XC).

Unless the K-bike is a steal...

I heard those Triumph's leak oil and have "interesting electrics"?.......

Just kidding, those days are long gone. The Tiger or any modern Triumph would be an excellent choice and a lot cheaper than a K bike in purchase and maintenance.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If you have the dough, go for the BMW.

It's not a crotch rocket. It's a very fast, stable bike and you sound like you're old enough and mature enough to handle it.

It only goes as fast as you want it to.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
The Spaceman
Registered Member

BMWs are overpriced maintenance hogs. Buy the Triumph.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
BMWs are overpriced maintenance hogs. Buy the Triumph.
Mines been reasonable.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Victor1239
Registered Member

Hmm, well no one has blasted me yet for even mentioning the idea, thats good I know 2 years ago when asking about a first bike, if you mentioned anything larger than 500 cc you got chastised quickly. Thought that might happen on 2nd bike choice over 800. Thanks for the comments, all appreciated.

The MSRP of the K is way up there, especially compared to the Street Triple, its like $24000(most options) vs $16000 (tricked out). The crazy thing is financing brings the numbers closer. The BMW has 3.95% and basically no admin fees, the Triumph is 8.95% and about $900 in admin fees. Over the course of 60 months that adds about $4000 to the Triumph over the BMW, so really we are talking about $24000 vs $20000, definitley closes the gap. You only get one go around on this planet so the price difference would be worth stretching for if I preferred the BMW. I definitely like the looks better, its just so unique. I like the head turn factor, gotta admit.
Being from UK, I feel a draw to the Triple as well, and that exhaust sound is just mesmerizing

Bottom line is, if enough experienced riders think the K1300r is manageable with an intelligent, mature rider, then I may just pay the $50 extra per month and have perma-grin for 5-10 yrs

Vic
Victor1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Captain Steve
Registered Member

It's not a sport bike.

Sport bikes are peaky. They don't make much torque until they get up in the higher revs, then the power suddenly comes on. You see them getting away from inexperienced riders who open up the throttle at 3k rpm (where the bike's making 20 ft-lbs of torque) and keeping it open till 9k(where it's making 120 ft-lbs of torque) and the bike pops a wheelie.

You're not a 18yo whose first bike is going to be the GSXR 1000 his daddy bought him. You know better.

Just take it easy and gradually get used to the extra power and weight and you'll be fine. Take the experienced riders course on it to work on your slow speed drills and to instill some confidence.

The key is to respect the power of the bike while having confidence in yourself that you can master it. Like Buz said, it only goes as fast as you want it to.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote