Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 01-04-2002, 02:19 PM   #1
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Airbags on BMWs

What happens if you 'move forward' quickly enough while adjusting seating position that you set it off?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
JoeSquid
Founding Member

'Airbags on BMWs' - are you talking about the riders or the safety equipment?

Anyway, I've seen the Dainese version and was intruiged. Can this really be effective? Hmmmm...... I think that the new law in (I think Sweden) that will require higher awareness of motorcyclists by first-time auto drivers (tested in real world conditions) will do more for lower injury rates than these bags will. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't disable them if standard equipment on my next bike, but as I was driving to work this morning, I was considering the fact that most serious injury is caused by the guy/gal in the shiny metal box that just 'didn't see ya' if you know what I mean. I also didn't infer any lower body protection from the above release.

just my worthless two cents.......

JoeSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 04:17 PM   #3
paul
Founding Member

Its about time we see more work put into impact protection. Airbags, if executed properly are a great idea. I think one day we'll have systems that will allow people to walk away from accidents that would otherwise be fatal.

I think some other safety features that would be beneficial on bikes would be traction control (ever accelerate on a slippery surface?), crumple zones where the forks attach to the frame, better ABS (it's AMAZING on cars), proximity sensors in cars that prevent you from doing something stupid, etc. etc.

The suit airbags are cool too. If I could buy something that would turn me into the StaPuf marshmallow man in a crash, and it worked reasonably well, I'd buy it for sure.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 08:57 PM   #4
NavyBueller
Founding Member

It's the U.K. (See MCN.com, which is still free.)

You are right about the cagers; look at the numbers posted on MO when the last NHTSA numbers came out.
NavyBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:05 PM   #5
minime
Founding Member

Also, look to the artice we had (paid?) here on MO about the Dainese inflatable suit: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/inflate.html.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 02:51 AM   #6
johnz
Founding Member

Surely you want to get away from the bike ?

Most injuries are caused by the rider interacting with the bike - crushing legs, feet getting caught and sliced off in rear wheels.

This is not like a car - there is no 'safety cage' protecting you.
johnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 03:49 AM   #7
crouchingtiger
Founding Member

And don't forget to glue a big flashing strobe light to the top of your helmet!
crouchingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 02:07 PM   #8
fr21555
Founding Member

Is this a joke? If the folks who support and underwrite this kind of research spent more time dealing with the fact that drivers of autos are our biggest problem, we'd be able to laugh at the notion of an airbag on a motorcycle. Nader and Claybrook can chew the corn from my stool, too.
fr21555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 05:58 AM   #9
dcopp
Founding Member

Having recently crashed thanks to a woman in a Cadillac who could not see motorcycles, you leave the bike rather quickly in my experience...WTF good is an airbag on a bike when you are no longer there to enjoy it? Are seat belts next to keep you in position to enjoy the airbag? This is another case of lets give them something to blow another $1000 on so that the GOVERNMENT feels better about us riding. Lets do something really productive like require bluehairs to retake driving tests and teach drivers how to watch the road and others on it. Major surgey and five months out of my life would have certainly been worth that. A usless airbag? Buy a really good helmet, that's what saves lives.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:08 PM   #10
dcnblues
Founding Member

No. No. No. This is wrong on SO many levels. It's just another system that will be required on bikes, and will be required to be serviced by "certified techs" so that it's purported use will remain effective. That all means the motorcyclist pays more $$ to ride. And what of the software? If it crashes or the sensors go out of whack, the system itself could be a hazard, not a help.

Meanwhile, the cage-drivers are still clobbering bikes they didn't see, and people will be getting into WORSE injuries because they stayed ON the bike, or in general proximity, and got slammed around in the ensuing mess.

If someone's going to pour research into this sort of 'safety equipment", better to look into parachutes and ejection-style seats. The road isn't at all forgiving, but at least she's predictable.

Keep it real! Invest money in driver education, more stringent skill and vision tests for drivers, and laws that make criminal vehicular assault charges applicable to car vs motorcycle accidents. We all train and practice how to get out of trouble. Time for the car drivers to train and practice how to STAY out of trouble.

Systems such as this only exist to make the mechanics, the politicians, and the insurance companies happy. And yes, Ralph Nader can kiss my kabootie on this too. HE doesn't ride, therefore has no effin clue. [rant mode cancel]
dcnblues is offline   Reply With Quote