Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 01-07-2002, 05:36 AM   #11
Poser
Founding Member

Default You Took My Rant

Well, just when I felt a rant coming on, somebody has the same rant...

Airbags in a suit are a fine idea. I would happily buy a suit with an airbag to supplement the armor and full face helmet that I already wear every day.

Airbags on a bike are just plain stupid. The last place I want to be is trapped on a bike as it cartwheels across the next quarter mile. Think about the idiotic leg protectors that got shot down in Britian. OK, you get fewer leg injuries but a LOT more head and neck injuries. Which would YOU prefer? I will keep my head and neck, thanks.

Wearing a seat belt in a cage makes sense- you are in a CAGE! Weight and complexit are enemies of motorcycle maneuverability.

I can't even tell you how many times I have escaped accidents by swerving, accelerating, braking, or some combination of the three. Tell me how an airbag would help that! What would an airbag do as you flew over the handlebars, except maybe throw you further?
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2002, 06:04 AM   #12
shikarioth
Founding Member

Default Re: Airbags on BMWs

Bottom line is found in a behavioural rule: the more we are assisted the less competent we are.

German gregarism tends to refuse the individual any prerogative and tends to satisfy itself with systems. The human being is weak, doctrine is strong. Accesorily, technology BBB helps the German to sell overpriced products, which sell onlmy because socially frustrated and economically less potent overpay used vehicles which are above their means.

I bet BMW is trying to develop a SYSTEM which will compute and adjust automatically the lean angle on a motorcycle. Final idela is have the bike to ride itself, because a rider is in too great danger. But please, go on buying them.
shikarioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:07 AM   #13
shikarioth
Founding Member

Bottom line is found in a behavioural rule: the more we are assisted, the less competent we become.

German gregarism tends to refuse the individual any prerogative and tends to satisfy itself with systems. "The human being is weak, doctrine is strong". Accesorily, technological BBB helps the German to sell overpriced products, which sell only because socially frustrated and economically less potent overpay used vehicles, which are above their means. This is "vacuum salesmanship".

I bet BMW is trying to develop a SYSTEM which will compute and adjust automatically the lean angle on a motorcycle. Final idela is have the bike to ride itself, because a rider is in too great danger. But please, go on buying them.
shikarioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:59 AM   #14
sennap1
Founding Member

Of course, and while we're at it why don't we eliminate all the safety equipment in all of the cars on the road. After all, if someone knows he will likely die in a car crash, then it would logically follow that he would be more attentive, seek more training and generally be a more responsible person. Of course, all these many years later, the families whose loved ones have been saved serious injury and even death by seatbelts may beg to differ.

Come on people...Of course, a key factor in safety for riders is improved driver's ed focusing on seeing motorcycles. But, to rant against R&D that focuses on safety is so off the mark. And, BTW, how does the insurance company benefit from safer vehicles? My insurance carrier gives discounts for airbags and ABS.

Lastly, what does Nader and Claybrooke have to do with this discussion? Particularly since Claybrooke is not even the president of NHTSA
sennap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 07:42 AM   #15
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default "Gladiator-inspired" dashboards of the 50's...

you know the hard steel variety replete with spear-shaped chrome steering wheel hubs, dagger-like metal radio controls, window cranks protruding like battle mauls etc certainly did a lot to make cage drivers careful back then. You got a great idea guy. Let's bring those interiors back! The cellphone zombies cocooned in the padded-cell captains chairs of their mega-SUVs with an airbag pointed at every orifice think they are just plain invicible --and thus don't pay attention to much of ANYthing. They need some danger in the ****pit like we have to face from them on the street everyday!
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:40 PM   #16
dcnblues
Founding Member

Default Re: You Took My Rant

Sorry man, I tried to suppress it, but I couldn't hold back.
dcnblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:13 AM   #17
banda
Founding Member

I guess if it's worth saying, it's worth saying twice, eh?
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:27 AM   #18
banda
Founding Member

I'm not sure that innattentive automobile drivers are the largest risk to motorcyclists. I thought that single vehicle accidents were pretty highly represented in the injury and death columns.

Anyhow, regardless of how accidents are precipitated - either by the rider's misjudgement or inaction, or by other road traffic violating a rider's right of way, the causes of death are pretty much the same: gross trauma. It seems to me that an unobtrusive and effective airbag system would be a huge benefit to the motorcycling community.

The only motorcycling death I have ever seen personally was a bike/SUV head-on collision where the biker was at fault (over the centerline on a right-hander). The rider died due to either a broken neck, or severe tearing of his main internal blood vessels (both happened) when he hit the windshield of the SUV. His full face helmet worked great, but it did nothing to absorb the energy of the collision directed to his neck and trunk. I really believe that if he had a Dainesse air vest like the one in this article, he would have survived.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 11:24 AM   #19
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: You Took My Rant

That is OK. I like to share.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:26 AM   #20
Poser
Founding Member

Default Sharp safety equipment

Maybe there could be an alternate to the airbag- a spear that pokes out of the steering column when it detects driver inattention.