Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 11-10-2001, 01:19 PM   #1
osakanuc
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW has strong third quarter

So when is the C-1 coming here? 1st PoSt!
osakanuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2001, 07:26 PM   #2
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

BFD
Old 11-11-2001, 07:55 PM   #3
BanditRT
Founding Member

Probably never, but I do know of more than a few BMW enthusists who would be interested in getting one.

I wish they would develop a street version of the 900cc Paris-Dakar boxers they were running last year. R900S has a good ring to it.
BanditRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 05:27 AM   #4
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Comments from Heinz Cheeseburger

"Our increase in sales is entirely the result of BMW's new directions in engineering and styling. Some people want reliability. Some want exclusivity. And some people just love-butt ugly styling. Our current lineup attracts all three groups."
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 10:27 AM   #5
intruderman
Founding Member

Default The kings of motorcyle style

Yes, I must agree that the Maestros at BMW have a flair for style - not.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 05:22 AM   #6
bigjames
Premium Member

Let's see about these comments:

Yamadude2@netscape.net (captainwhoopass, yeah right) gives BMW a BFD, hmmm how are those Yomama dales doing this year, not so good, hmmmmmmmmmm

Intruderdude - doesn't like BMW styling, buts like the Intruder, no accounting for taste, hmmmmm, Suzuki's sales basically suck this year too, hmmmmmmm, having to work with Kawasaki to save money. Must be style envy...

Heinz Cheeseburger (aka nickdabrick), uh, no comment needed on that one...

If Suzuki and Yamaha had to stand alone on their cruiser line, these two puppies would have gone the same way as Excelsior-Henderson did...

Me, on the other hand, actually own and RIDE BMW's (K1200LT currently, have had 6 of them) and Harley Davidson's (the true king of style, if not why is it copied so much by every one BUT BMW, my Harley has 170,000 miles [yes, same engine, tranny, even same clutch cable] on it so screw your Hardly-Ableson crap). So I think that I might just know enough to say that BMW has finally hit the nail on the head with how to new attract customers. IT is just a few points, but they are reliablity and STYLE. And style does not have to be 'pretty', to you but to the larger group of RIDERS who appreciate well designed, functional, stylish products.

Coming off soap box now, feel much better. Will restart my medication later...

James Allmond

Macon, Ga

00 K1200LT

88 FLHS/Watsonian

51 Servicar
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 05:40 AM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Amen Brotha! People dont appriciate BMW till they ride one. I rented an 00 KLT for a weekend and was amazed on how well it handled. 600 miles went by fast, well with the cruise control set at 97mph and the cd blaring. Once I got up to the fast sweepers of Highway 101 in the northern california redwoods it really started to shine. Nothing like touching a peg down doing 100+ fully loaded two up with rock solid stability. I was truely shocked how fast and how well a 900lb tourer could handle. 6 Months later the first 02 KRS to hit SF showrooms was mine. Its been miles of smiles ever since.

02 K1200RS - 12800 miles
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 06:03 AM   #8
panthercity
Founding Member

Why, yes, yes it is.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:21 AM   #9
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"Yamadude2@netscape.net (captainwhoopass, yeah right) gives BMW a BFD, hmmm how are those Yomama dales doing this year, not so good, hmmmmmmmmmm"

This has to be the most ignorant post ever on this site. If you are going to debate a matter of sales numbers, at least make it have some basis in fact. Yammie outsells BMW about 10 to 1 in total sales. And Yammie actually grew sales in '02, as opposed to BMW, who shrank about 7%. (Source = MIC warranty registrations, as published in Motorcycle Consumer News, December 2002 issue)

You state that "if Yammie and Suzuki had to stand alone on their cruiser line, they would go the way of Excelsior-Henderson. " That is incredibly ignorant. Both of them sell as many cruisers under 900cc as H-D does.

Furthermore, this is a ridiculous statement, as it is not their business philosophy to stand alone on any one market. This is why they can make stylish products that sell well, unlike BMW who concentrates on one or two markets, and is pretty weak in all of them but one, the sport-touring market. However, with the new entrants to this market (FJR1300, ZZ-R1200, ST1300) you will continue to see BMW market share decrease.

BTW, if you actually read my post (which obviously you didn't) I was not saying BFD to BMW as a company, I was saying BFD to this useless PR blurb about their sales.