Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 05-02-2001, 08:21 AM   #11
mbmers
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Death Valley Photo Shoot

My 1989 R100GS has been with me on snow covered Montana roads, dirt ranch roads, 1000 mile road trips and daily commuting. It'll wheelie with a simple twist of the grip in 1st right off idle and just about ride to the edge of it's enduro tires.

In short it's fun anywhere, and the Death Valley rendezvous would be a great addition to my experiences on this bike. (It is not so over priced when you consider what it will do -- and keep doing year after year.)
mbmers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2001, 08:49 AM   #12
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Perhaps mr.VFRider should try riding a G/S before inserting his foot in his mouth. I've ridden a VFR 1000 and it was a nice bike in it's day, however it is in no way comparable to any of BMW's G/S line of bikes for all around fun and versitility.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:19 AM   #13
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I'm assuming that I'm "Mr. VFRider," as you put it. I don't ride a VFR. I can't afford one, (I'm starvingstudent, remember?), nor could I afford ANYTHING that BMW sells, even their 650 single that somehow costs $8000+. I recommended the VFR and the R1100S because the guy rides a GSXR--do you think he wants a swiss-army-knife bike, or a sportbike? I was merely naming sportsbikes that, though they aren't as extreme as the GSXR, have a reputation for lasting forever.

Not everybody likes the same genre of bike, not even swiss-army-knife bikes.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:21 AM   #14
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Oops--didn't notice that the real VFRider had posted something, openly bashing BMW. So my post makes no sense. Never mind.
Old 05-02-2001, 10:05 AM   #15
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Nice to hear that from someone else. I often wonder about these super short skirt pistons, super skinny valve stems, etc, etc. What's the longevity like at 14k rpm?

On the other side, my bike (a hundred years ago!) was the lightest, craziest, cut the weight of engine components to the max machine available... It's still running strong - though drag racing and a clumsey shifter foot didn't do much for 2nd gear.

It will be interesting to see how far material technology and engineering has come based on how long the latest GSXR/ZX/YZF/CBR crop lasts.

How's the VFR doing? I've loved those bikes for years and now that I'm married - something different than the GSXR11 is needed for rides over an hour long two up!!!

Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:49 AM   #16
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Actually, I don't have a VFR--I never really clicked with sportbikes myself (different bikes are right for different people, and every bike has a place). I ride a Honda Shadow 600, which feels right for me (it feels right when I ride it in a way that the CBR600 and other sportbikes I've test-ridden don't) and is well suited to the slower-pace, watch-the-scenery riding that I like to do. I dropped the VFR's name because if you have more failures after this second-gear issue, a VFR can give you 80-90% of the performance with much greater long-term reliability.

In terms of riding with your wife--have you thought about picking up a big-bore sport-standard as a second bike? Something like a Bandit 1200 or an FZ-1 have all-day passenger accomodations, while still supplying great performance and handling. They also aren't too expensive to buy and they're cheap to keep running, so you could probably afford to have one of them _and_ a focused sportbike for solo riding.

Good luck getting that second gear fixed,

Starving Student
Old 05-02-2001, 11:27 AM   #17
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Thanks SS

Yeah thought about the Bandit (test rode one... very nice) but the budget leads toward an older one or an older zx11. Yup, I'm a sucker for punishment.

Good on ya for riding what you like - shadow's a nice bike and I bet the back and shoulder cramps I get on the stupidbike don't affect you!

later.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote