Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 04-26-2001, 09:50 PM   #21
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Riders Needed

I commute 126 miles a day, not counting pleasure rides. I've had the bike 11 months, I just had my 3rd valve adjustment done, which need to be done every 8,000 miles... I'm on my 2nd set of tires since getting the bike, and I need new ones. I'm on my 2nd chain, and I need a new one. How much do you ride your bike?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2001, 09:52 PM   #22
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I like their new print ad that says "yeah, I have a hairdresser, his name is Helmet".

Old 04-26-2001, 09:54 PM   #23
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Oh, and it wasn't new when I bought it, they haven't made them in a few years... it's a '93, had 19,000 miles on it when I bought it, and it has 45,000 on it now.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:58 PM   #24
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I've seen the Harley Screaming Eagle... and it IS ugly, but I gotta say it's 2nd on my list of ugly bikes, followed by the The GS 1150 heads the list, followed by the Screaming Eagle, then that BMW cruiser thingy (sorry, can't remember what it's called) and then the copper colored Hayabusa, which looks ok in other colors...
Old 04-27-2001, 04:08 AM   #25
Capt_Kawi
Founding Member

You mean like all those low milage Interstates, Goldwings, VFRs, Voyagers etc......

(Kawi's long gone)
Capt_Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 04:18 AM   #26
crg
Founding Member

On the off-road commercial it says, "Sanity and knobby tires optional."

crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 04:27 AM   #27
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Re: Now That

Like that stinky guy in the cruiser ads.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 04:55 AM   #28
keebler
Founding Member

A lot of the reason BMWs have a high reported "return to dealer" is that BMW owners demand perfection of their expensive machines, and come back with issues owners of other brands would just let slide.

The other reason is that new BMWs have 3 year 36,000 mile warranties. That's plenty of time and miles to find a defect in a bike. It is not uncommon for them to exceed the mileage before they exceed the time. When you put over 12,000 miles a year on a motorcycle in all conditions, you will uncover more issues than if you cover 2,000/year.

And before we go crowing that the GS ugly-which is is-keep in mind its utility. Every single thing about that bike is there because of an engineering decision, not an aethetic one. One of my favorite stories a GSer told me was when he was waiting at a red light and a Blackbird pulled up next to him. The Honda rider opened his visor and said, "Race you to Texas!" The GSer replied, "Okay, but we don't get to use any roads!"

It's all about real-world utility. If you live in a city and will never leave the asphalt, congratulations and enjoy your well-built plastic sports bike. But if I'm going on a six hundred mile ride and a hundred of them are on dirt or gravel, I'll take the R1150GS over a CBR-whatever any day.
Old 04-27-2001, 05:08 AM   #29
gs_rider
Founding Member

I think the R1150GS looks way cool - I would, I own one

...Jay
gs_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 05:25 AM   #30
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Ok, first thing... I like beemers cuz they're different. The boxer engine etc, etc. I even like the cruiser... different and funky and I've lusted after a GS (any gs any year!!!) for years.

HOWEVER... I must disagree with the comment "Every single thing about that bike is there because of an engineering decision, not an aethetic one" . These bikes were not meant to be ridden truely off road.. .they're like the sport ute 4x4's... you ride them cuz they look tough. How often have you seen GS1150's riding the motocross trails? They are designed to look cool, be comfy, tour well and... be asthetically pleasing to their target market. Just like Harley, just like Ducati and just like the Jap bikes with stupid wild graphics.

Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote