Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 12-27-2001, 04:16 PM   #81
Founding Member
Default It's called "Brand Cachet."

Remember, too, that Luxury companies produce bikes (and cars) with a certain nameplate cachet.

If everyone could afford an S-Class Benz, they would be "perceived" as having less value.

Likewise, part of the "value" for which one pays is the exclusivity. In the case of the 1150 roadster, exclusivity as a "feature" accounts for roughly $2,000. (Sound about right?) In other words, is it reasonable to expect that Everyman would think that this bike with these features and specs should sell for roughly 8k? MAybe 8.5k?

A Sedan DeVille from Cadillac is a Lincoln Town Car with a 6k hood ornament. So why do people buy the Caddy?

Answer that question, and you will know why BMW intentionally prices their bikes out of your range.

Mine, too, unfortunately.
Headlight Fluid?! How dumb does he think I am? When I get back to base with that Elbow Grease, I'm gonna have a talk with the Sarge.
The_Aerodynamic_Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Old 02-20-2002, 10:13 AM   #82
Founding Member
Default Re: BMW Twins Reader Feedback

Bought one yesterday although I will leave it at the dealer for a few more weeks until the snow clears before taking it out for the first time. All I can say for the moment is it looks gorgeous and at least in the showroom feels perfect.

It's only the 3rd or 4th sold in Poland but it's more common in the rest of Europe.

Price is a bit higher than others but I got a 2001 model so it was a bit cheaper. USD 9,500 with the colour I wanted (black) and the exact spec, inc ABS, heated grips, screen, extra socket, pannier and luggage racks, etc.

Bought it for going to and from work, round town, business trips - and weekend play -)) and it looks like it will happily do all of the above.

Some have commented on the set height and being 5ft 10in I might go for the higher seat later if needed, or maybe a Corbin which tend to add a couple of centimetres.

Can't wait to get it out on the road.

Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 10:35 AM   #83
Founding Member

Hi all,

I road tested the R1150RT a couple of months ago after they first came out and all I can say is WOW!!! I'm definately not a sport-bike type, and my main purpose for a new bike would be twofold: 1) Commute back and forth to work on 4-seasons. 2) Quick trips up into the Sierra Nevada with my wife on the back. My commute to work is relatively free of stop-and-go, and speeds are consistant 65+ MPH so the extra bodywork of the RT won't be an issue like it would be for those who split traffic. It seems very much like riders these days are somewhat spoiled by all of the high horsepower big-bore sport bkes out there. Nothing wrong with this mind you, it's just that a bike like the R1150RT is faster than the original "superbikes" of yesteryear such as the Z1 900. Nowadays 93HP makes for just another ho-hum dreary slow bike. If I want to go fast I'll drive my '95 Mustang Cobra R-model. For a bike, I want wind protection, reliability, sure-footed confidence inspiring handling, good gas mileage, and a bike that will carry two people in comfort for 3-hour rides up into the mountains. For me, from what I've seen and experienced so far, the R1150RT fits the bill very well. Also, I would tend to agree that you're better off spending the extra $2k to buy the bike you really want. Yes, I was a starving student once, but I'm not anymore. I don't need the 145HP that the FJ1300 offers, and it doesn't have bodywork that extends out to cover the hands. The ST1300 is very nice, but when will it ever make it to the states? My test ride of the R1150RT proved to me that it is a wonderfully built bike with excellent engineering and the best ergonomics out there. I'm sold on this bike. As soon as the time is right for me financially I'm gonna make my way down to the BMW dealer and buy one (gotta finish the race car first though!).

Perry (CobraRGuy)
CobraRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 02:40 AM   #84
Founding Member
Default Re: BMW Twins Reader Feedback - Hello Guzzi?

What, you got a problem with the eye-talians?
mikeeovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:56 AM   #85
Founding Member

Your dealer sounds sh!t.

I live in the UK and the dealers her are great.

The local one is often voted best in area of ALL dealers.

I've got the 850, slightly low on power but a wizz. I won't be changing it for a long while.

Shame again about your dealer !!

neilhunt is offline   Reply With Quote