Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 06-16-2001, 03:35 PM   #71
Knightrider
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Twins Reader Feedback

This may be a bit off topic, but I was wondering how the Buell is holding up for you.

Both the BMW and the Buell is on my short list for a new bike this year, - I need something reliable for 60 mile a day year round commuting in rain or shine conditions.

Have you had a chance to do a ride comparison?
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2001, 06:35 PM   #72
jared
Founding Member

Of course with Harleys you have to factor in the price of truck, for the wife to drive behind you and haul it home when it breaks down.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 06:45 PM   #73
jared
Founding Member

Default Re: Retro Airhead?

Why would BMW need to produce a retro standard, when the real things are still running strong, and priced at or below your target of $6-7K. Check out some of the milage from Iron Butt Ralleys. Those chaps are gettings 100K+ out of those old engines. BMW makes 'em to last. Want a cheaper one? Wait a few years, and buy it used... you'll still get more than your fill out of the machine.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 10:42 AM   #74
starry
Registered Member

Well since the last report now approaching the 2K range. The bike is still smooth and strong no problems. It has consumed about 800ml of oil in the 1300+ miles I have put on it since 600 service. The dealer claims this is within expectations and it will improve as the valves seat.

Range so far at least 180 miles, between fillups, this consumed 4.7 gallons of gas leaving about 0.8. The bike should be able to go 200 miles between fillups. The low fuel light came on at 170 miles while riding. It will come on earlier on an uphill slope.

Still looking for a windshield and some extra lights I would like but no accessoreis yet! I have seen some of each but nothing I'm satisfied with. The bike is very easy to clean, the only chrome besides the exhaust is the head light and gauges.
starry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 03:02 PM   #75
LW
Founding Member

Thought I'd drop a note about the R1150R. I bought mine on 07/10/01, and a week later I have 1100 miles on it. The bike is great, not a single problem as of yet, and as this is my first Boxer I was really surprised by the amount of power it produced. I am sorry to say that the Dealer I bought it from is letting me down, as I have to wait until 07/31/01 to get the 600 mile service done (I made the appointment on 07/11/01). I would think after dropping $11,200 for the bike and accesories plus tax and license that I would get a little preferential treatment, but I guess not. I guess I will do most of it myself as I can not wait another 14 days without riding this bike.
LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 12:20 AM   #76
michalakis
Founding Member

I bought an R1150R in May and I would like to ask you if you noticed a slight drop in the response time of the engine after the first 600 miles. It might be that the bike is smoother now, but when I drove it from the dealership and for the first 400 miles it was really responding immediately. I broke the 4K rpm break-in restriction just once (went up to 6K rpm) for just 1 sec. Please let me know how your bike is going. Is the engine making any sounds from time to time?

thank you
michalakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 06:42 AM   #77
starry
Registered Member

I haven't really noticed anything like that (a drop or sginificant change in throttle response) I guess perhaps the throttle cables mybe a little loose on yours? THe only odd noise mine makes is a loud clicking sound that I was informed were the fuel injectors opening and closing. You can hear it at idle. DId the mechanic synch the throttle bodies as part of the 600 mile service? He might have not done it porperly. If they get in a hurry sometimes the bike doesn't get fully warm before the adjustments. Mine is strong right throught to about 5500 rpm when the torque stops to drop off. I normally up shift at about 5000 rpm while accelerrating so I don't know a lot about life above there.

When he synched my throttle bodies they crnaked the motorcyle up put a fan in front of it and let it run for several minutes. Then he adusted the screws.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:55 PM   #78
LW
Founding Member

I now have 3800 miles on my R1150R and am really enjoying this bike. It does quite well for two up touring and the system cases work great. I did buy a wind shield made by Memphis Shades that works great for long rides and trips, I can remove it in minutes and leave the handle bar clamps in place for daily/short rides. The bike handles very well, though it has less front end feel than I am use to, but I just trust the telelever is doing its job won't let me down. The center stand and peg feeler do touch down quite early, at what I would consider a moderately quick pace, but It doesn't upset the bike much. Another area that could be improved is the seat. I would like to see the front seat about an inch higher and firmer, and the passenger seat could be a full 2 - 2 1/2 inches higher, as the padding at the back of the seat is quite thin (or so my wife tells me).

This bike is great. It has exceeded my expectations in every area, save for the ones listed above. I have not been impressed with the BMW dealers I have dealt with thus far, so I will keep searching for one I like, otherwise I am enjoying my new bike!
LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 09:03 AM   #79
starry
Registered Member

Okay now over 3000 miles on bike. I did the oil change myself last weekend. In the 1200 miles since last update the bike burned approxiamtely 300 ml of oil. THis is less than half what it burned in the first 1800. Power is still smooth and I haven't noticed any surging. Accessories are slowly rolling out and these bikes have become as rare as hen's teeth as far as I can tell. No dealers seem to have them. I guess BMW miscalculated demand. Oil change was easy to do. A Center stand is a great thing. I guess one of these days all bikes will have center stands again. I'll not post again until the 6k service which will be early next year at my current rate.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:16 PM   #80
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: How about an 850?

Remember, too, that Luxury companies produce bikes (and cars) with a certain nameplate cachet.

If everyone could afford an S-Class Benz, they would be "perceived" as having less value.

Likewise, part of the "value" for which one pays is the exclusivity. In the case of the 1150 roadster, exclusivity as a "feature" accounts for roughly $2,000. (Sound about right?) In other words, is it reasonable to expect that Everyman would think that this bike with these features and specs should sell for roughly 8k? MAybe 8.5k?

A Sedan DeVille from Cadillac is a Lincoln Town Car with a 6k hood ornament. So why do people buy the Caddy?

Answer that question, and you will know why BMW intentionally prices their bikes out of your range.

Mine, too, unfortunately.