Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 04-03-2001, 12:09 PM   #51
SugarMrPoon
Founding Member

Default Re: Opposed twin engines

easy on the caps lock
SugarMrPoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2001, 04:04 PM   #52
runner00
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Twins Reader Feedback

I was waiting for BMW to come out with something like the 1150 roadster.

Finally a BMW open air bike thats also a pretty sharp looker. Too bad

I bought a Buell in 2000. Well maybe I'll find some money somewhere and

if the test ride is good... 85 hp and a six speed . I'm in just as soon

as the money comes. Nice styling. Two thumbs up.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 06:39 AM   #53
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Who said it would be Bonnie fans buying them...

people who love Meriden Triumphs either still own one or have bought a Hinckley Triumph of some kind because they got tired of fiddling with it. Some of them will buy the new Bonnie but other Hinckleys appeal to those who want a Britbike with at least an approximation of high performance even if Triumph hasn't wrestled any crotchrocket titles away from the Japanese. I'm one of those myself. I'd rather have my T'bird than any 2 Japanese cruisers or standards that may have little to fault on paper but the personality of a Panasonic upright.

BMW does IMO have a legendary marque to capitalize on, and a retrobike would appeal to many of the same type of people who like Z3 roadsters for example. Though sales of sports cars are slacking off with the stock market fall, BMW's 4-wheeled neo-retro roadster has been overwhelmingly the most successful of all BMW cars ever made meeting the purists' definition of a "sports car." A retro-boxer would be a lot more affordable though, so I think it would sell well even with the NASDAQ down. Like you, I've been wrong before too

LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 06:56 AM   #54
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default What? Not even with Harrison Ford riding it. n/t

LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 08:27 AM   #55
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Yeah, that R1150 standard looks like a cool bike. Torquey engine, good riding position, and BMW quality. Speaking of the quality issue, I read somewhere that several city police outfits are buying BMW's because, in the long run, with maintenance and repair costs figured in, the BMW's are cheaper.

Yes indeed, the features make my mouth water. Unfortunately, the styling makes my eyes water. The rest of the bike doesn't look too bad, and I could probably live with the odd front swingarm, but that front fender looks like CRAP. Somebody should tell the stylist that the fender belongs

UNDER the fork brace, with the pivot on top, and maybe a little chrome acorn nut. Different may be better, but that doesn't mean that normal is bad.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 05:06 AM   #56
Rufuss
Founding Member

Rode the new R1150 Roadster yesterday! Styling is much improved, in my opinion, though sort of mantis-like front, it's new tech different.

No clone here!

Brakes are simply incredible. When you brake hard, these binders seem to sink teeth into the pavement. These may set a new standard in stopping power on a street bike. Very impressed. I'll have more info after a longer test ride.

Rufuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 07:39 PM   #57
RKWFXD
Founding Member

California Highway Patrol purchased BMWs to replace their Kawasakis which they purchased to replace their Harleys which they purchased to replace their Kawasakis. They only put about 50,000 miles on a bike before they sell it at auction. I think all the manufactures can build bikes to last 50,000 miles. Where the Harley and probably the BMW shine is in the resale. The used police Harleys were selling in auction for about $4,000-$5,000 while the Kwackers were only bringing in about $1500.
RKWFXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:13 PM   #58
BanditBMW
Founding Member

There are no pumps on the F650GS and the electronics are relatively simple.

BanditBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:19 PM   #59
BanditBMW
Founding Member

Default Re: Opposed twin engines

There are several brands through time with the opposed twin besides BMW. There are Russian and Chinese built and yes durring WWII Harley built a military issue replica of a BMW because in Africa the Harleys couldn't handle the sand or the heat.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:22 PM   #60
BanditBMW
Founding Member

Oregon and California Police BMW's are achieving far in excess of 100k and still kicking this shows what routine maintenance can do from a good technician the police departments will go all over state to a good dealership one that can maintain the bikes properly.