Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 04-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
mitctho
Registered Member

Default Re: F800ST and F800S Demo Rides

Yeah, but can it give two DL650s a run for their money? After all, it will cost twice as much. The F800GS had at better retain the belt drive.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

So these are all MotoGP-inspired 800cc V-4 screamin' mi-mi's, right?

The Great Sock Puppet was right!

Do not doubt the GSP!!!!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Fenton
Founding Member

Trolling for Kstradamus?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
cls
Registered Member

Rode an 800ST a month, or so, ago. Nice enough for what it was, but nowhere near what they wanted for it. No Beemers are, IMO, but this one was even farther off the mark than usual.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

I really, really, don't get it. Yamaha made this bike back in the early 90's and everybody in the US avoided it. (They loved it in Europe, though.)

Now, Das Bee Emm Veee does it, and it's moto-gasm time.

You bet, what's the premium over the DL. Does it run as strong as the DL1000? C'mon, comparing it to the Wee Strom is just wrong.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

No. Not really.

OK, Look - I promised I wouldn't reply to him - didn't say NOTHIN' about him replying to ME.......

[b];^p~
Old 04-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
TheFox
Founding Member

Ah, the glorious TDM. I agree with you whole heartedly. Yamaha used to take adventuresome chances with it's motorcycles, and the lack of sales success of the SRX, the TDM and the profoundly ahead of its time GTS1000 in the US is why it we get few of the interesting bikes.

I think that this was the exact reason Yamaha was so cagey about the FJR1300.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Well, it depends on what you want. I tried the S and thought it was really nice. But then, I used to ride British bikes and love the feel of vertical twins, and the F800S reminded me a lot of the old Nortons and Triumphs I so enjoyed.

That said, I'll stay with my Honda 599, which has been just about a perfect fit for me.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Just think how miserably that bike would have failed as well, if only they'd provided copious quantities to the NA buying-public.

I think that "pre-order 'cuz we're only makin' a few each year" business model was absolutely brilliant.

That is, unless it was just an accident, and they really could have sold more bikes - then it was moronic..........
Old 04-23-2007, 03:37 AM   #10
xlr8r
Founding Member

Well done, xb12x, you beat me to it. Thanks to my trusty R1100R being stuck at the dealer's while they order up some parts, I've found myself with a demo F800ST for a few days to get around on. I was going to write up a little review and post some pictures, but like I say, you've beaten me to it.

Anyway, what's it like? Well, very light, very neutral in its handling, very modern and together, but I don't think it's much different from an SV in that respect. The engine has plenty of top-end go, with a nice kick in the pants at about 5000 where it gets going, but it also has plenty of torque in the basement, too, which is rarer these days. You can drive it around in top (there are six gears) with two and half on the tacho and forty on the speedo without any problems at all, which is nice for trickling through traffic. You can also drive it at a hundred without any drama in the corners, and without the windblast taking your head off. The overall engine feel is strangely elastic - it feels like you're being propelled by a giant rubber band, somehow! It does, however, make a fair bit of dry rustling and 'shuff'-ing noises on the over-run, but I think many modern bikes do that. My own daily rides are somewhat more antiquated and make more mechanical noise anyway, so I'm not really the one to ask. The ergos are very good for me - I'm 6'3", 200 lbs, 35" inseam - but the mirrors only give me a view of my elbows, which is annoying and unexpected for a BMW. I think it's because the ST's bars are higher. If I sit on it and lower my hands to where they would be on the F800S the view of my elbows disappears. Funnily enough, in a reader's poll on a French website, everyone with an F800ST complained about the mirrors, and nobody with the S did, so I think I'm probably on the right track here.

Okay, so far, so normal. What's the big attraction, apart from the badge? This. There's a trip computer on this bike, same as you have in your car. Mileage, average speed, average fuel consumption, etc. And here's the point - this bike averages 70 to the gallon at 70-80 mph. Drive it with some enthusiasm, get the speeds up to 90 or 100 ( I'm not saying where!) for fifteen minutes or so, and the average drops to about 68. Drive at 50, stick to the posted limits, and it soars above 80. I have never, ever, met a bike like it for the way it sips fuel. The 22 owners who responded to the French website all tell the same story, incidentally. My R1100R produces 80+ bhp, gets 50+ mpg at 80 mph, but this produces the same power, weighs 60lb less ( and you can feel it), averages the same speed, and uses 40-50% less fuel. It is, quite simply, the next generation. In the US, where both fuel and bikes are cheap ( yes they are, don't get me started), I can see that you won't get excited about this, but in Europe this bike is priced like a Japanese middleweight twin, an SV or suchlike - or an 883 Sportster, stone stock and basic - and our gas costs 8 bucks a gallon. This thing is going to sell by the shedload. Finally, the guy at the dealer said that he's never going to get rich selling them, because they have been designed to take only one hour of shop time per year to service. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to service, lasts a decade, solid resale values, and that badge: what's not to like? Performance isn't all in the quarter-mile times, you know.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote