Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 04-23-2007, 03:32 AM   #11
earthspirit60
Registered Member

Default Re: F800ST and F800S Demo Rides

As an American who lived in Austria for some time I can say: Americans just don't get it! Most either want "Sleasy Rider" or "Ricky Road Racer" and that is it. It is ALL image. A bike with hard bags? Huh?, Even the ZX14 loses it's grab rail in the USA!

Some US General once said it best...NUTS!
earthspirit60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #12
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Ve are nihilists, Lebowski...

But we get the snazzy tail cowling, which I understand is much desired by the speed racer crowd on your side of the pond.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
Gritboy
Founding Member

Not quite double the cost, but still a pretty penny more. That extra dough will be a lot of gas, aftermarket exhaust and pretty much any other "add-ons" you'd want for a WeeStrom.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
Gritboy
Founding Member

Timing's everything and in the states we're fickle. We want uber cruisers, but complain about their handling, and want track-ready sport bikes, but complain about their ergos. It seems that many peeps just don't understand what middleweights with rational riding ergos and power delivery.

I'm definitely intrigued by the new F800 (not sure which model I prefer yet). That said, I'm with you that it's not really a fair comparison with a DL650... especially, since it's an 800, not a 650, it's half again as pricey, and it's NOT intending for any dual-sport riding.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
Mooner
Founding Member

Now that's a threat! Nothing personal, don't know you from K-Adam, but "I'm going to Paris and just might stay there"?????

Have Fun!
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
12er
Founding Member

Local dealer was wanting $13k+ for the ST, I was interested in one for the wife but not at that rate. Wee strom is looking better and better...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #17
alexdz
Registered Member

Default CHEAP to buy? Only in beemerworld!

I was really looking forward to this bike--just the right size and capabilities for the way I ride (80% commute, 15% weekend ride, 5% tour). I went to see one at a local dealer--with all the options (as the available units were set up) you're talking 15 large out-the-door! That's crazy money! Its an 800 twin fercryinoutloud!

Really, I don't think its going to work in this country. How many people here buy bikes for practical reasons (maybe 10% of buyers?). Without the practical considerations, you'd might as well shell out the same or a bit more for the basic boxer or 1200, and impress your friends.
alexdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #18
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Wow, I really thought a light, agile, quick, and good looking middleweight BMW that starts at less than $10k would be more welcome here at MO. The above comments really surprise me. I took one for a demo ride a couple of weeks ago and came back grinning ear to ear, the s model I rode was fantastic. Quick and smooth, fantastic brakes, great ergos, and the on board computer showed 65 mpg. I thought perhaps it was being over-optimistic but apparently it's true. And I love the fact that you can take the bags, taller windshield, and centerstand from the ST and put it on the S. As for the cost of accessories, you're gonna spend money on them no mater what bike you buy. Sure there's cheaper alternatives, but I'll take the fun nature, low cost of ownership, and long-term durability (based on past rotax engine designs) for a few thousand more. One thing's for certain, I can afford this bike alot sooner than I can afford a K1200 GT. Oh, and consider this....a new Honda Interceptor ABS retails for $11599 and the hardbags are $1000 more. And Honda doesn't offer heated grips or tire pressure monitoring. And it only comes with a 1 year warranty. And it has a chain to oil.....

JQ
Old 04-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: CHEAP to buy? Only in beemerworld!

Even my local BMW Dealer complained about the price of 'em - and he's sellin 'em!

He believes that's gonna hurt sales in the long run, more than anything.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
earthspirit60
Registered Member

The VFR is a lame duck, holding place for its replacement. Honda usually keeps the old dogs's price high to make the replacement seem reasonably priced when it finally arrives to a fawning press.

Now to the BMW. I have owned 2 previously: a R65LS and a K75S. I now own a very modified ZRX1200R, which is a really nice bike as well. The F800 is very nice, no doubt. The debate is "is the ST worth 14K+ out the door?" My local dealer has a nice Grey ST listing at $14200 out the door without bags. This is too much.

How bout a loaded Blue ST with bags for $12500 out the door...OK, I'll take it. Untill then, I'll suffer with my powerfull, versatile ZRX
earthspirit60 is offline   Reply With Quote