Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 10-05-2006, 05:35 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: A Serious BMW Experience.

Forgot about the VAT...d'oh!

The interesting thing is that the only other 800 currently available, the VFR, is atrociously over priced and so Beemer can enagage in their usual stick-it-to-the-public pricing and still appear as a bargain.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2006, 05:37 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

+1. 82 miles away, in Tallahassee

Darn.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
iamz
Founding Member

If they could price the F800S under $10K I would very much consider the bike. But at $13K and even at $11K they will have lost my interest. Irrelevant I guess if they never come here.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #14
bod
Founding Member

Easy there Big Fella The Viffer is a Highly Tuned Machine With some over the top techie type stuff and honda has a right to charge for all those dodads that make the v-four run so sweetly. Actually the new bikes seem to be high but if you shop around a bit or get a year old model its not that bad. I bought an 02 model in 04 with 4500 miles and only paid 5500 bucks for it and it was mint ( Not so much now but its the scars that make her so attractive). I think All bike makers try to take you to the cleaners on new models ahh capitalism
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #15
squidwardo
Founding Member

BMW is only a few percent of the overall market, and their dealer base is shrinking. The insisted for a while on single line BMW only stores, and a lot of those have gone out of business. I would love to own a GS, but would be concerned about my only support being 2 hrs away.
squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:03 AM   #16
squidwardo
Founding Member

Seems to me BMW has to do something to get customers into their stores. A few years ago they started to push their dealers to go single line, and a lot of those dealers have been struggling. As I stated earlier, the dealer in my town is out of business. There was another single line dealer about an hour and a half away that closed down about two years ago. When I asked a BMW M/C employee about this, he said they have had a large number of dealers go out of business.

They make a very nice bike, and I love the GS, but truth be told, for what you get, a lot of the competition is just as nice and less expensive. I know quite a few guys who ride BMW bikes, and most of them own them because they wanted to own a BMW, not because they feel BMW stands for cutting edge technology that cannot be found elsewhere. When I looked at bikes last year, it seemed as if the prices were still relatively high, and some of the standard options were now expensive add ons. I might be wrong, but BMW needs to do a lot more to win over new riders.
squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote