Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 02-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: BMW Group revenues for 2005 rise to new high level

"Heck, if you recall, even HD was suffering tremendously not that many years ago."

For lots of people, that was a tremendous upside for the MC industry!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #12
bmwdude
Founding Member

In those days (early 80's) I was working in a metric bike shop. Yes, back then HD was the competition, seeing them misfire in a corporate sense was good for our business.

AMF came really close to running them right into the ground.

I can recall reluctantly taking a sportster as a trade. It sat in our showroom for nearly two years before we managed to unload it. We ended up loosing money just to get rid of it.

Things sure have changed, huh?

This makes you wonder where the industry is going to go next?

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Not ***** on someones parade but "The adverse external factors - unfavourable exchange rates, high raw material prices and intense competition - which we reported from the very beginning of the year have been largely offset by increased sales volume and internal efficiency improvement measures. For the financial year 2005, we will therefore achieve approximately the previous year's high earnings level." from the report The exchange rate, with Ws irresponsible fiscal policy, will only hurt BMW sales in the U.S. in the future. Dollar is going to fall more and more. Oil will become more expensive... so just replace 2005 in the quote with 2006. We Americans are living off the Uncle Sam Credit Card. Our children will be paying the minimum payment on the card to the Saudis, Chinese, Canadians for years....
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
bmwdude
Founding Member

Don't worry, I hear W and **** are hunting buddies.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #15
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Good one... LOL
Old 02-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #16
teknoman
Registered Member

I have to agree with you.As one who reads the world news ,not just the local,I have to say you are right.Except don,t forget our progeny will have to learn mandarin chinese/hindu,and maybe have to have a separate passport to get back into the country with Dubai nowtaking over our ports.I was being tongue in cheek,but today I feel impending doom!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #17
Tigercub
Founding Member

"...our progeny will have to learn mandarin chinese/hindu,and maybe have to have a separate passport to get back into the country with Dubai nowtaking over our ports"

It ain't gonna happen. Don't get yerself all worked up. Remember we used to think we would lose our entire automotive industry to Japan in the '80s. That didn't happen either.

What we do best is invent, develop and market new technology. We have been and always will be the leaders. Even if India and China invent something new, their infrastructure and legal system aren't developed enough to bring products to market.

They also will have a problem with income disparity. You can't allow one segment of the population to enrichen themselves at the expense of the majority and still play in the world market. Won't happen.

What we can worry about is if our children are educated enough to handle the new jobs or will we be forever dependent on foreign brain power as we have been for the past century?

Here is what will be new for motorcyclists by the middle of this century. Electric motorcycles. The only way out of a looming energy crises is nuclear power. That means electricity and that means we need small efficient high-powered batteries. Well? Get to work!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
Tigercub
Founding Member

Restoring the tax rates we had under the first George Bush will solve all those problems you mentioned. He built the surplus that Clinton enjoyed, which is why Clinton lowered Capital Gains. Unfortunatley, W was drunk when his daddy paid his Yale tuition so we're heading towards a fiscal mess. But tax rates like the GOP used to have will come back. In the meantime please Bennie don't take away the punch bowl!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #19
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

"We have been and always will be the leaders."

Hubris: n. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance: "There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy).

m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #20
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Reality Check

" ain't gonna happen. Don't get yerself all worked up. Remember we used to think we would lose our entire automotive industry to Japan in the '80s. That didn't happen either"

Care to look at GM and Fords Income Statements and Balance Sheets and market share lately. Yes the appreciation of the Yen helped the U.S. Auto industry die a slower death along with cheap oil prices fueling the SUV fad. However, Chrysler was bought by Daimler-Benz so I have an issue with what you are saying.

"What we do best is invent, develop and market new technology. We have been and always will be the leaders."

Really, so we are just inately superior. Alot of the innovation etc. was fueled by government basic research etc. which W. has cut.. grants to universities for research W. has cut. In fact corporate spending on R&D during the W years has declined. Ws large deficits are already leading to higher interest rates paid by the U.S. government which crowds out borrowing by private industry which leads to less venture capital, basic research spending etc.