Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 12-28-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS for my better half.

Any bike that makes you happy is a good bike.

Good luck with it and I hope the both of you enjoy many happy (and safe) miles together.

Save the two-up fo the big bike.

And, First Post!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2005, 06:51 AM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Because, when they first came out beemer was asking about $8700, which a lot of people thought was a bit much for a 650 single/beginner bike.

Also, many people hated the looks, though I thought it was quite interesting. I guess between both of those gripes sales were a bit disappointing.

I still want a 650GS at some point. They just look like fun bikes...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
03zx12r
Registered Member

BMW has not discontinued this bike. It is far more popular in the UK than the US - they always get the good bikes there.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
tpoppa
Founding Member

I have heard that the maintenance is pricey for the BMW singles. Alot of parts need to be removed to get to the heads/valves.
tpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Perfectly reasonable bike. However, another good choice would be a Bandit 600. The bikes weigh about the same and the ride height is roughly the same. Now, if I were buying a for my girl I'd go with a v-star 650 (really low). Remember that BMW motor is a Rotax design. You may not have to pay BMW prices for parts if you search out a dealer or supplier that has Rotax in their network.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
12er
Founding Member

My wife wanted one too, but 05 was the last year imported to the US. She is now looking at the Baby Monster or the Ninja 650R. Both fit her nice at the IMS.

Masters of MO, on your upcoming SV vs Ninja 650 battle royal please try and throw in the baby monster too. I assume the handling would be better on the baby monster but the power better on the others.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
theDuke
Founding Member

Have to agree that the price seemed a bit steep. Not by BMW standards, necessarily, but compared to other "beginner" bikes, over $8k is a lot for a new rider to swallow. I imagine that a lot of the younger entry-level riders they were aiming for either didn't have this money or figured that a $5-6k Japanese bike or even better, a used bike, was a better way to start.

The SV650 is another great bike but as you mentioned, the seat feels really tall for shorter riders.

The Monster 620ie fits short riders well, but if she's going to be following you on long road trips, the BMW is more comfortable and easier to fit luggage.

As for styling, it's a personal thing. I think the F650GS looks cool but I find the CS a bit odd looking. However, I think the belt final drive on the CS is great, clean, and low maintenance. I can't figure out why they bothered to make the cool single-sided swingarm then hide the wheel with that ugly muffler while the GS has the higher under-seat system that looks better, IMHO.

Then again, I've always had odd taste in bikes. I used to ride an R1100R, which had to be one of the oddest-looking BMWs they ever made.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
teknoman
Registered Member

Iloved the looks of r1100r,but I am odd by most standards
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
bross
Registered Member

They are a lot of fun. My wife has an 05 GS and it's a blast. She loves it, except for long highway trips. It's too light and she gets blown around quite a bit, so she just ordered an RT for highway trips. BTW, the CS is still availble in Canada.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
yzedf
Founding Member

I would go for the Ninja 650. Something a little more unique than the Monster.
yzedf is offline   Reply With Quote