Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
eojmo
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS for my better half.

Who cares if the BMW's look a bit unusual? If you want a reliable motorcycle and not the latest fashion statement then this bike will serve you well. I have come across some 650cc singles that have done over 100,000klm without any major problems. The engine is just about bulletproof provided you service it at the recommended intervals. I am going to pick up a used one and travel Europe on it this summer. I currently own a R1150GS and its one of those bike that you can set out on any journey without having to worry about reliability issues. If anyoneÂ’s interested this is a link to my latest trip.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/lifest...ult.asp?Id=403
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #12
jjasper
Founding Member

I have an 05 myself and love it. I think the big thing that killed the CS was price and many dealers wouldn't take them even thought as soon as they got them they sold fast.

The CS has belt drive, ABS, heated grips, and comes with a waterproof backpack that snaps into that funky scoop in the tank. It is dead reliable as I know a couple with over 100K miles on theirs. You can put a low seat and suspension kit on it so even 5'ers can flat foot. The belt drive is clean and easy and it has a pretty single sided swing arm (unfortunately hid behind an ugly can), good wind protection, and great handling thanks to the gas tank being under the seat for really low COG.

Drawbacks are BMW service is crazy expensive, and BMW USA can sometimes be big jerks and some dealers try and screw you over left and right so you have to search out a good one. The sticker shock compared to other big singles is a bit much to swallow. And in true German fashion sometimes the electrical system can be wonkey.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:29 AM   #13
tripletango
Founding Member

I just took delivery of a Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie. If you cannot get the Beemer then this is a really great alternative as a beginners bike that you may not get tired of. In addition it is possibly the best looking bike on the road today.
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:24 AM   #14
xlr8r
Founding Member

If she likes the F650, buy it. It was designed from the first to be easy to ride and to appeal to those who had never, ever, ridden a motorcycle before. It is very, very gentle in its lower rev range, but if you turn it up a bit, you'll be surprised at how well it moves - holding eighty all day isn't a problem. A Bandit or a Monster is a totally different animal, much more of a handful, less comfortable, and more complex mechanically.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:25 AM   #15
xlr8r
Founding Member

Come on tek, you know you want one. Stop messing about and just buy the thing. You'll love it.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:01 AM   #16
pplassm
Founding Member

How come everytime a manufacturer tries to sell an interesting bike for beginners/small people in the US, nobody buys it?

Old 01-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #17
12er
Founding Member

I'm with ya but a simple tip over will cost ya probably half what the bike is worth on the ninja replacing the plastic. It would make a better touring mount due to that plastic though and with the exhaust where it is seems to make soft saddle bag placement a breeze.

As for the Unique comment, from the first ride impressions Ive read I imagine by this time next year they may be as unique as a SV650.

Personally I would like to have her on the Ninja or the WeeStrom, but she likes the Monster.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote