Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
eddyline
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Motorrad Adopts New Philosophy.

There was a neat metal sign that I saw somewhere, with a BMW, saying "Schnellste Motorrad der Welt!" from c. 1930's. Nice to see that they're trying to recoup that...
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
den111
Founding Member

ARGGG....2nd Post!
den111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
maladg
Founding Member

And about darn tootin time, too. This BMW fan has long had quite enough of the "gentlemens agreement" to sidestep the HP race.

Way too much is barely enough!

Now a certain "editor in chief" can find a new topic to natter the faithful about.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
bmwdude
Founding Member

Cool, better performance!!! Woo hoo!

Now, if they'll just start opening more dealers and come down on the price a bit?

I do want to live in a perfect world, don't I?

As I recall, (Perhaps some of you can help me with my history?) BMW was the first bike maker to build a 175 MPH bike. If my memory is working, they did it way back in the late 30s or early 40s? At the time both they and HD were a force to be reckoned with in racing.

I look forward to seeing if they can reclaim some of there former glory.

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
teknoman
Founding Member

Long overdue..There,s rumours of an f800r ,though I don,t know what the r stands for...
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
naco_traficante
Founding Member

Default Only $20K for a German Gixxer. Such a deal.

If they want to leave their niche and go head-to-head with the Japanese, they better drop those prices. Don't be a copy-cat unless you're a cheaper copy-cat.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
naco_traficante
Founding Member

"R"oadster per xlr8r.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #8
eojmo
Founding Member

If thats the case then they'd better shave more off the tappet covers or they'll completely grind away taking the corners faster and lower.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default F800R

On a slightly related topic, There seems to be some slidifying of the rumour that we can expect a new F800R, but no R1200R. Which makes a lot of sense, really. The older 1150 Roadster was too close in both price and performance to teh old 1150GS, and that latter was so much more comfortable and capable, especially on long-distance, due mostly to leg-room and a dedicated aftermarket that only marginally supported the Roadster. Taking the roadster out of "short-to-medium range support bomber" and putting into the range of "Close-range air-superiority interceptor" as in the new F-bike, makes much more market-placement sense to me. BTW, those who have owned the R-bikes will understand the aeroplane references. You other lot ought to go buy one. Anywho, an F800R could be a nice upscale City-X and SV-beater. And maybe my next bike.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: F800R

I do understand the aeroplane references, and appreciate them. Back in the old days, BMW used to make what aeronuts would call 'all-weather fighters', but nowadays they seem to be leaning towards making fair-weather interceptors. I'm not sure this is a good thing.

And can you all find something else to moan about with BMWs besides the price? As I'm sick of telling you, in the rest of the world BMWs are very competitively priced; it's only in the US, where the Japanese discount so heavily to grab market share, that the BMW's price seems high. And in parts of the world where the weather is less than perfect, the way BMs hold up against corrosion and other crud makes them a better deal if you intend to own them for a long time.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote