Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 09-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #41
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Default Re: BMW F800S

Well, I will agree with you on that. If BMW wants to sell alot of those bikes they'll have to sell it south of 10 grand, and I for one sincerely hope they'll do that. I also see what you mean about people shopping for middle-weight sport bikes....hp and 0-60 times is what sells. But I do think there's people like me, thirty-something....new to motorcycles....want to ride something besides a cruiser but not as extreme as a 'Busa.....who will look seriously at this bike. I imagine people who're shopping the small-displacement Buell xb's will also take a look at this.....similar power, belt drive, light weight.....it will be interesting.

JQ

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #42
ikonoklass
Founding Member

BMW has to know that a bike under 10 large is key in the US market. Lack of same is why Triumph has blown past BMW in unit sales and KTM is getting ready to (if they haven't already). They have to be planning this as an entry-level bike, and--who knows?--maybe there will be a commensurate decrease in the price of the F650 line. Maybe that's why Aprilia is back in the mix with BMW.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #43
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I've got your next poll right here...

Better styling... Moto Guzzi Griso or BMW F800S?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #44
pudlepirate
Registered Member

"its going to be expensive, weak performance for the money, etc.

I'd be curious who buys these and why they choose it over other bikes."

probably the same people that buy harleys..

seriously it is becoming very hard for anyone to use even half of their motorcycles capabilitys with out either out riding the road or their license, having run into johny law a few times myself and knowing my speed triple is far more capable than I am leaves me to revile in the fact that I own something I don't see on a regular basis.

The rest of the time I wish I owned something I could leagaly flog to the hairy edge, time to buy a vino! just kiding, I would never ditch my triumph!
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #45
pudlepirate
Registered Member

abs, I've never riden a bike with it, but I know I hate to drive cars with it with a passion, and I live in the ice and snow conditions of new england it is designed for!) Does it really make it that much beter, or is it just a crutch for less talented operators? I drive and ride over 40k miles a year and I have never been in an accident because I could not stop, or lost control due to a skid. Perhaps I'm just lucky, knock on wood...
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #46
bikervince
Founding Member

Man, I envy you. I'm still looking for a bike that will make me feel that way. The closest I ever got to that was my old V65 Magna. The search continues....
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #47
theDuke
Founding Member

Maybe it won't take them 5 years this time to get the fuel injection to work properly without stalling and surging?

In my personal experience as a former BMW R1100R rider, they are overpriced and their quality overrated and the factory's customer service is pathetic when they have a problem and won't admit it.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #48
jjasper
Founding Member

I don't know, I cruise all day long at 80MPH on mine, it does triple digits if you need to, blows the doors off of anything but exotic cars, and gets 60MPG on the freeway. As with all big singles it has a butt load of torque.

So if that feels underpowered you must be riding WAY beyond my limits and the limits of the law.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:26 AM   #49
motonut_1
Founding Member

It's my feeling that most BMW buyers are not too interested in spec sheet performance. If that were the case, BMW would be out of business in the USA. However, BMW needs to take care of the problems that have surfaced over the past several years; poor fuel injection mapping, questionable quality, etc.

That being said, the f800 holds a lot of promise for potential BMW riders. The best part is that the motor is manufactured complete by Rotax and shipped to BMW for installation in the bike. Rotax motors have a reliability record second to none. The bike will have more than adequate performance if the weight and hp are what are claimed. It will have a better power to weight ratio than an R11S. Servicability appears to be excellent with a highly accessible spin-on oil filter. Rotax motors can go long times between valve adjustments, low or no maintenace belt drive, etc.

Yes, it may be priced somewhat higher than Oriental offerings and potential buyers will have to decide for themselves if the extra buy in is worth it. Personally, as someone who tours on an F650GS, this looks like the perfect next bike. Looking forward to a test ride, which you can get on a BMW.
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #50
bobsturm
Registered Member

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4682/ will give it to ya in English.
bobsturm is offline   Reply With Quote