Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 09-30-2005, 06:46 AM   #31
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Default Re: BMW F800S

One without a home? I disagree. I bet there's alot of riders out there that would want BMW technology, comfort, and reliability but who've hesitated due to the high entry price of it's bikes. I think it will be well recieved. I can't wait to ride one.

JQ

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2005, 06:57 AM   #32
sliphorn
Registered Member

And don't forget the great W650, outstanding motor that it is!
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #33
obandoj
Founding Member

If ugly and expensive could equal greatness, this would be the greatest from a "great" company that is well known for "greatness"
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:34 AM   #34
sky
Founding Member

finally someone talks sense on this site
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:35 AM   #35
edward44
Founding Member

The 700cc Royal Enfield Constellations were balanced at the factory and were acceptably smooth. Why the other firms didn't do it I couldn't guess. Couldn't have cost that much more and would have been a huge improvement. The BSAs were the worst, in my experience.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:42 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: WHAT? AREYOUNUTS?

The R5 must have been interesting.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #37
pdad13
Founding Member

It might find a bigger niche if it were priced around $9k. If it bumps the $12k mark, I don't think it has a very big audience.

Consider the typical buyer of a sporty bike of this size. Then consider the alternatives.

There may be several people who will be really interested in it. I just don't think there will be a reasonably large number. And if it comes in at 12 grand, even most of those people will probably not buy it.

That's still a lot of coin for a motorcycle. And I'm not sure BMW technology, comfort and reliability pays the freight. Other than ABS, this bike doesn't seem to have any outstanding technical features (we'll see). Many people don't even want ABS or at least don't think it's important. Reliability? Are BMWs really any more reliable than the other major manufactuers' bikes? Comfort, maybe, but I'm not sure the typical sport bike buyer is all that concerned about comfort.

So, yeah, we're not really talking about the typical sport bike buyer. Who is the buyer? Where does this bike fit?

Of course some really stellar reviews in the right pubs could help it some.

I'm with you though, I'd like to give one a spin, too. I just don't think I'd buy one at 12 grand.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:15 AM   #38
Murphy123
Registered Member

Here is my take. the $10K Euro price usually includes Euro VAT and other taxes so the price in the USA will be $2-3K less expensive. Still pricey, but at least less than 10K USD. Depending on gearing it will probably run the quarter in the low 12's. It has an HP-to-weight ratio slightly better than a SV650S so not slow but is it worth $2-3k more than the Suzi? Too bad they could'nt squeeze 95 HP out of it, it would make more sense (to us USA spec sheet jockey's, anyway!)
Murphy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:40 AM   #39
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Rocket III

It's interesting that Triumph came out with the Rocket III in 2005 and is getting ready to begin their second year of production of this bike, and MO has not tested one or even done a riding impression.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

I think you're right. Though the pre-isolastic Norton 750s were pretty bad as well.