Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 AM   #21
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F800S

Well, well. What we have here is a brand-new example of that previously common but recently hard-to-find item, the middleweight roadster that can do everything. BMW always used to make them, of course, under the title of R75/5 and before that the R60, but recently they've been kind of hard to find, though Honda's CB500S is pretty good for its size (and looks not unlike this Beemer, don't you think?). Over here in Europe where things are closer together, you rarely get the chance to use more than 80 bhp before you meet something else and have to stop, so this little item seems fine to me. In fact, 80bhp and 200kg is just a touch more than the old K75S used to make, which was just a touch more than the old R100S used to make, and nobody ever thought they were underpowered, did they? No, this one sounds fine to me, and might well turn out to be a sort of modern Norton Interstate if it was done out for touring with luggage and stuff. But just as the advent of the R850R sounded the death-knell of the K75, which was a fine bike, this F800 is going to kill off the R850R, which costs as much to make as the R1150 but has to be sold for less. Which means that if you want an R850, and they're very nice bikes if you want a keeper rather than something to set your hair on fire, then they'll be going cheap very soon.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2005, 04:59 AM   #22
blitz
Founding Member

Amen, brother. I love those/my bikes. I look at new bikes, and I ask myself, "will this make me happier?" The answer is always, "nope."

I am just glad BMW continues to support the airheads with a great supply of parts. At least they appreciate that.

blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:25 AM   #23
billfowler
Founding Member

be interesting to see what Yamaha are going to do with their TDM in reply...

so far everyone is taking the ***** - should be looking at around 300lbs for a big vertical twin (compared with the way Jap fours have evolved)

180 degree crank throw vertical twins with gear driven balancer can be relatively smooth, BTW
billfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #24
pdad13
Founding Member

I've been watching the news/rumors about this one for a couple of months. Seems like a neat bike but, unfortunately, one without a home. It's not going to wow the spec-sheet jocks (although, I understand that BMW is going for big torque) and there are far lower priced alternatives. Maybe a niche bike for BMW-lovers, but that's probably about it.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:04 AM   #25
pdad13
Founding Member

Default And, yes, it's a belt drive.

More info here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-f800s/
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Obviously you've never ridden a solid mounted I-4 without counterbalancers. My old CB750F was literally impossible to ride at 65mph because the bike felt like a dental drill. My 81 KZ750, even with rubber mounts had vibration problems too.

Also, a 180 degree twin like Honda used to build en masse is an entirely different animal than the 360 degree twin the Brits were so fond of. Some people used to pull those old 650s apart and have the cranks dynamically balanced which made them run much more smoothly.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Default WHAT? AREYOUNUTS?

Everybody knows that you gotta have 150bhp minimum at the crank to have any fun at all. I've learned that on MO and have realized that all those years I grinned like a maniac on an R5 or a CB900F I was actually miserable. And all that Kamakaze 650 twin my wife and I toured on all over the place in the 70's was completely inadequate, though I never realized it at the time. The spec sheets prove it.

Get with the program.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:34 AM   #28
johnnyquest
Registered Member

As a K75s rider, I hope you're right. I've ridden the R1200RT and although it's an awesome machine in every way, it's simply more bike than I need right now and more $$ than I'm willing to spend. I'm glad BMW is building a bike for people like me. I just hope it's not priced too high. I'd guess they'll price it around $10k or so.

JQ
Old 09-30-2005, 07:34 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Honda gets more than that for an 800.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:38 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Default oops

never mind, I misread your post.

I meant that Honda gets over 10K dollars for an 800. Of course, Honda only sells 2000 of 'em in the US. BMW would be happy with those numbers.