Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 04-20-2005, 05:20 PM   #31
redlegduke
Founding Member

Default You're wrong about the CZ dual-point igniton.

Eminently reliable, like everything else on a CZ.
redlegduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #32
Dixit
Registered Member

Default Re: Will BMW's Change Suspension Forever?

Air suspension seems like a good idea. They are several applications already from Formula 1 to 18 wheelers. Can someone explain to me why it hasn't been used much in motorcycles. Is it the price?
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #33
draffety
Registered Member

Default Re: Will BMW's innovative technology change motorcycling suspension forever?

Is this a troll or are you just a complete idiot?
draffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:08 PM   #34
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I'd be happy if they could just fix the heated seat on my R1200CLC, now that the second one is DOA.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 AM   #35
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Will BMW's innovative technology change motorcycling suspension forever?

It's true, the XA model was a 45 inch flat sidevalve twin designed for Africa. Pretty rare, even harder to find are XA springers because back in the day they were the same diameter as one of the Ford models radius arms. They could be extended by cutting off about half the leg and welding a Ford arm in place.

This was before you could buy anything you want from the catalog. If you wanted a bobber or chop. you had to actually build it yourself..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:01 AM   #36
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Points not electronic....

But not the points. Flimsy cheap phenolic and weak sheet metal construction. I use to break dozens of 'em every month. Either the phenolic would break or crack, or the metal would fatigue and snap. Oc course, this was on a Jawa, but they were the same animal. (Never seemed to bother me on my 250 chay zed though). Finally fixed it by constructing a set of SOLID STEEL points with a Honda 90 phenolic, and Chevy stovebolt spring, held together with a 440 screw. Never broke after that.

Anyway, I was thinking about the Femsatronic they put in the Falta replica around 1975. What's that smell? Fry sizzle....
Old 04-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #37
Tigercub
Founding Member

I just can't see when a BMW is ever going to need that sophisticated a suspension system. But the bike looks really cool and it's only a whole lot more than $21,500!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #38
maladg
Registered Member

No, No, No, NO! BMW only takes 10 years to fix a typical problem....any "problem" over 10 yrs old just means the Germans think we are idiots.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #39
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

I dont' know if it makes a difference to you, but I think that's $21,500 in Australian dollars. That's more like $16,650 US... still too rich for my blood.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #40
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

No, it's not the price. It the maintenance.

Seals break, get dirty, or wear and the air leaks out. I use to carry around a 10 speed bicycle pump back in the 80's when air forks were all the rage.

Springs work just as good, and don't "leak".

Air suspension gets reincarnated every decade or so, and forgotten again soon after.