Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 04-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #31
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Puts the New R 1200 RT on the Dynojet

I'll second that. I think bikes like the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom and the 620 Multistrada are getting close, but with chains. Personally, I find my '00 R1100R has more than enough power for the street or highway, and I wouldn't mind somehthing a little lighter.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #32
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default It's our fault.....

If we’d buy it, they’d make it. Problem is, it costs almost as much to make a very good small displacement bike as it does to make a very good large displacement bike. Making the jugs smaller doesn’t make them cheaper – just smaller. Sure, you can reduce the scale of some other parts (brakes, etc.) but not enough to make a significant price difference.

BMW used to make an R850R, a sweet little brother to the R1100R "naked" roadster. Great bike, but only sold for a few hundred less than the bigger one. Buyers voted with their wallets, and BMW stopped production.

It’s our fault – given the choice of a $10,500 liter bike or the exact same bike with a 750 cc mill and a $10,000 price tag, we’ll pony up the extra 5% cash for an extra 25% displacement every time. What would you do if you were a manufacturer?

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #33
tomk2
Founding Member

The new little Multistrada has just bumped the Buell XB9SX off my "next bike" pedestal. I'm gonna get a red one & name it "Gamera"

P.S. I wonder if perhaps Yossef will have something to say about the 620 Multi soon?

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #34
grw
Founding Member

I didn't take Contracts. My dad's the lawyer. I just twiddle bits for a living.

-Gary

grw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #35
henniwell
Founding Member

Lighter weight is not always a good thing if you never plan to go as fast as you possibly can. If you want to tour, that added weight (as long as it's not too much) can certainly add stability to endure crosswinds, big trucks etc., and leade to a much better long distance touring experience. It will make the bike harder to turn aggresively in the twisties but the idea is to find a bike that works the way you like to ride. Everything is a comprimise. Just have fun and be safe.
henniwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #36
BruceF
Registered Member

I think of power as a nessessity to safe riding , I switched from a 1150RS to a Blackbird so I could control my enviorment , The 1150RS[2002] was too heavy and not fast enough to get away from drunk drivers , cell phone users and the other 80% turkey driving population, the Blackbird lets me control whats around me, I applaud BMW for more torque/HP and lighter weight, it had the best ergonomics and I might go back[does the new 1200RS downshift into first?does the rear shock actually adjust?did I see a front fork brace on it like the GS has> looks like it's yes to all these ]...Power to the People
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:54 PM   #37
pattonme
Founding Member

In chicago there's a nutcase who rides his GSXR750 the whole year round. Me, I'm the other nutcase on a ZR750 - that's an updated GPZ/Zephyr, not the ZX sportbike family. Other than that there are a couple of beemer dudes out when it's about 25F. But the GSXR rider and myself are the only ones I know of who ride way below freezing (2degF) and even in the snow.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #38
Dixit
Registered Member

103HP and 81ftlb appears to be quite better than the numbers produced by the Buell. I think that the BMW has a much better engine.
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #39
pattonme
Founding Member

my weenie 74HP bike spinning at no more than 1/2 of redline (so making 35-40HP) has never had any trouble keeping me safe in legendary traffic like DC-metro, Chicago, or even Boston. So I don't follow your assertion that a blackbird is needed to evade incoming torpedo's. Maybe your situational awareness needs to be enhanced?
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 PM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

On my last trip to the Grand Canyon I saw 90% Harleys on the road. They far far outnumbered BMW riders.... and everything else.

And if you think there isn't a whole shytpot full of elitist BMW snobs... well you are in for an unpleasant shock. I even have run into airhead guys who think that oilheads and Kbikes aren't "real" BMWs.