Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 04-14-2005, 05:17 AM   #21
rds
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Puts the New R 1200 RT on the Dynojet

I have to agree about dealerships. I have owned BMWs, Hondas, Suzukis, and Kawasakis and dealt with dealerships for each in three different states. There is no comparison in the level of service and professionalism. At the BMW shop I get an actual technician working on my ride instead of some clueless highschool kid. I won't let Japanese dealerships work on my bikes anymore. I've gotten home (or halfway home) too many times and realized they forgot to replace/tighten some critical part. I've never felt concerned about any BMW dealership.
rds is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2005, 05:18 AM   #22
smithrob75
Founding Member

Please enlighten me. Keep in mind I'm comparing air cooled bikes.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:24 AM   #23
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Well I am not a huge Harley fan but they do make a few bikes that I like. That being said the reason that the Buells tend to get hammered is that bike is so good that it feels like the motor is holding it back. I have to admit I agree. HD is just as studious and calculating as Germany and Japan. HD's bikes work well, sell even better, and are exactly what their owners want. They easy to maintain except for all the time you need to spend polishing the chrome.

I do wish Buell would come put with a sport tourer. maybe using the VRod motor?
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:25 AM   #24
kowalke67
Founding Member

Riding a Ninja 636 (or any other sport bike) doesn't make one inmature (the way they ride it might), it may just mean that's what lights your fire and/or you prefer a focused bike. Recognizing different bikes suit different needs and desires and being open minded about it is what makes someone mature.

I wouldn't be so quick to generalize all HD riders as elitist and Beemer riders as the only long distance riders though. I meet plenty of HD riders- young and old- that enjoy motorcycles in general, not just HD's. The guys belly up to the bar every weekend or they guys buying HD's because it's the "in thing" may be more like that but I wouldn't put weight in their opinion anymore than I would in a school of squids.

As far as long distance, I take at least two (hopefully more this year) 1000 - 1500 mile trips a year and have a 2500 - 3000 mile trip in the works. Plus my normal Sunday trips around 200 - 250 miles, I ride a Ducati ST3. That's a drop in the bucket to what some people ride but it's all time and weather permit.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:30 AM   #25
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

We've been testing and posting dyno charts of stock 75 - 90 Hp Buells here at MO for the last 10 years.

Most recent was about 4 1/2 months ago, when we posted this 88Hp / 72LbFt chart of a stock XB-12S, during our Streetfighter Shootout.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:34 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

So how you liking it? Or is it still too cold to ride out there?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #27
themess
Founding Member

Am I the only one who wishes that, as technology improves, the engines would be made smaller? I've never raced, never will race. When power gets too high, it can get a person in trouble, and fast. It should be possible to make a fast, comfortable, quiet, shaft-drive tourer that weighs 400#. That's what I'm looking for, not something to drag race on.

Tom
themess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

I do the same on a 1200 Trophy though I average around 15k a year. It's my everyday transportation unless I'm hauling the kids around.

BMW has the reputation for reliability, yet the various BMW sport touring web sites have page after page of problems from electrical to drive shaft and gear failures.

Hinkley Triumphs on the other hand are building a reputation for durable and reliable bikes that put others to shame.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #29
jjasper
Founding Member

I agree, I moved from a SV-650 which was a wonderful street bike with decent ergos, but still ended up with a sore butt and back at the end of the day. I now have a F650CS which is MUCH more comfy and has nice BMW extras like heated grips (which I use all the time) a nice socket for charging or a heated vest (which I wish I had riding home from Hollywood last night), ABS, belt drive so no chain lube and longer wear, and is actually less (although more expensive) maintenance than the SV was. Yeah I could have bought a lot more bike for the same amount but I don't need more bike. I was happily cruising along the 10 at a comfortable 80MPH (with traffic, got to love LA) with little wind buffeting as the mini fairing does a decent job.

That said I want a little street legal supermoto bike as a second bike. I sat on the new suzuki 400SM, I hope that seat gets softer over time as it was like a really firm and wide thong, other than that and my stumpy legs it seemed like loads of fun. I would rather have a 250cc street legal supermoto or Aprilia come out with a street legal SM bike using their new twin!!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #30
Grover
Founding Member

"you pay your money and you take your chances"

You didn't take Contracts with McCauley did you?
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote