Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 03-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Suffering from Ewan and Charlie's Dilemma!

so who are you if they are all away? spill, sister...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
alcasazza
Registered Member

I have owned 3 BMW's the latest being a 2004 R1150 GS Adventure. I have had no problems and they required only routine maintenance. I tested a 04 KTM Adventure but found the seat to hard and the maintenamce to expensive. With the BMW I can do most of the maintenance myself and save alot of cash for other things and dealer service in my area if much more convient with BMW.
alcasazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Yeah, who's minding the store? Are the lights still on? Who's still left at MO, anyway? I saw minime and Calvin get a mention in one of the paper mags a while back. And at least you still check in, JB. But it looks to me like all we've got left is Sean and whoever he can rope in this week. How come MO could afford more staff back when it was free?

Oh, I know, it was the whole dotcom thing, and MO could charge exorbitant ad rates.

Sorry for ranting so far off topic. Sigh. Must be time for a beer.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
staff
Registered Member

Default Zed's dead

JB, you know darned well who is still here! Never seen, but heard... (Ashley)
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
fool4mybuell
Founding Member

One word says it all for me.. Dakar (ie KTM).

So when's the Long Way Round DVD going to be released in NTSC format? Can't wait.
fool4mybuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Ashley!

Damn, girl. I sent an urgent e-mail to Sean after Thailand got drowned. Thought my favorite girl (whom I've never met) might have been eaten by a shark. Good to know you're still kicking. Sean never responded, probably an overactive junk filter, or a terrible backlog of messages. He never responded to my offer of a review of the R1150RS, either.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
trumant
Founding Member

Do a google search for "Long Way Round torrent" and download away. I've got all of the episodes downloaded and quite enjoyed watching them on my laptop.

This advice only applies if you have tons of bandwidth to burn though, I think the whole series was around 2 gigs and took about 12 hours to grab.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:45 AM   #8
r1der
Founding Member

In Motorcycle Consumer News, the KTM handily beat out the BMW.

So, unless your an old man, get the KTM.

Don
r1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:45 AM   #9
cstewart77
Registered Member

I compared both as well and ended up with a 1150GS since the BMW is a much better street bike; much more comfortable for rider and passenger and you can easily take it on dirt roads...but not trail riding. I wouldn't want to trail ride on either one.

I also have a 2004 KTM 625 SMC; which I love but dealer support/part availablility and pricing has been a dissapointment. Maintenance is also more of a chore. I love the bike, but for me a KTM is not a primary bike.

Hope that helps,

Chris
cstewart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:05 AM   #10
maladg
Registered Member

R1der has a great point. Stop what you are doing and go read that article - fast! Before you spend money. MCN is worth the pricey subscription costs.

However I'm baffled as to why you - or anyone else - would ask this bunch for advice.

Jeeze, read up on these bikes. Go check them out. Ride them if you can. Find some owners and talk to them.

Ask yourself this question: do I want a great streetbike that is ok on dirt roads or a great dirtbike that is great on roads but would be a bit less comfy on long hauls? Pretty simple question that should be fairly easy to answer.

Do you want to ride the "Insect God" bike or do you want to ride "Gandalf's Bike" complete with funny hat?

Bottom line: trust yourself. Don't place the opinions of others above your own where YOUR money is concerned!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote