Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #51
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Suffering from Ewan and Charlie's Dilemma!

Stay on moderate dirt roads only and get the BMW. There is much better support for that beast in all parts of the world. If you think you might get dirty on a regular basis, get the KTM.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #52
terje_1
Founding Member

Go for the 1200GS you will not regret!
terje_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 AM   #53
jjasper
Founding Member

They have a section in the documentary where KTM gives them the boot. Ewan wanted to go BMW from the beginning but Charlie wanted the KTMs. Ewan gave in but KTM sent a guy who had done a similar trip through Eastern Russia, and he didn't think they could hack it, so KTM bailed. Big loss for them as they came out looking bad and BMW looked like the saviors.

Actually one of the BMWs being ridden by the cameraman got killed, so he ended up riding some little no name piece of crap bought in a Mongolian flea market which ended up working out great because it weighed so much less than the BIG BMWs.

It is a great documentary, and I have a whole new respect for both riders as motorcycle lovers, family men, humanitarians, and in general good guys. It is inspiring and I am glad they took the time to do the UNICEF thing during their ride.

Personally I am a small bike guy so I would have probably gone with the BMW F650GS
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #54
eojmo
Founding Member

The only thing to worry about if you have doubts about the GS 1150 is how long your legs are.This is a tall ,heavy bike when fully loaded and If you are short in stature, this can be a problem in rough terain,especialy if you need to slam your foot down to catch your balance.I am 5,11'' and I would'nt want to be any shorter.This is a brilliant motorcycle both on and off the highway,and its given me great pleasure on many journy's,something I could'nt have experianced on a dedicated street bike or off road bike.Some of my trips can be seen at www.bmwmotorrad.co.za under the Australasia section of rides,Joe Barker.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote