Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 03-05-2005, 04:09 AM   #41
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Suffering from ADD...

Buy a used KLR and be done with it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #42
ZD
Founding Member

Default Re: Suffering from ADD...

right. exactly.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #43
skeepee
Registered Member

Default CW vs. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist is openly street oriented, so that alone narrows the scope of what they cover. I think they're pretty balanced but clearly their staff prefer sportbikes. CW tries to cover the whole spectrum of two-wheeldom, and seems to have more diverse tastes on staff. CW has a better historical perspective but I personally identify with the Motorcyclist crew more. I subscribe to both - plenty o' cheep reading material for the loo.

skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #44
sketch15
Founding Member

Default Re: Suffering from Ewan and Charlie's Dilemma!

I still have trouble comprehending the idea of a 500 pound "trailbike". I have ridden a KTM 950 and it is certainly a unique machine but I would not want to ride it on anything more adventuresome than a fire road or large trail.

Why not consider a KLR 650 for about a third of the price? It's reliability is without question and the aftermarket is huge. It has been around for 15 years and will continue to be one of the favorites of adventure riders for years to come. It may not be as powerful on the road as the others but it cruises easily at 65 mph and is nimble enough on most trails to satisfy curiosity. It is probably the best compromise bikes out there.

Andrew
Old 03-06-2005, 05:12 AM   #45
skadamo
Founding Member

Check out www.advrider.com. It is an awsome site for this type of riding and these bikes. Also, check out this article on the KTM...

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.p...3&Itemid=1 26
Old 03-06-2005, 07:47 AM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Price/performance, whatever that is, rules!

Why test at all?

Q: Which 400+ lb motorcycle is the best off road?

A: None of them! No need to pretend otherwise.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #47
SuperBill
Founding Member

BMW gained its reputation for "legendary" reliability when the competition for "large" displacement motorcycles was Nortons, BSAs, Triumphs, and AMF Harleys. I own a 1989 R100RT that I bought new, and while it has many endearing qualities, stellar reliability (when compared to Japanese motorcycles) is not one of them.

Do yourself a favor, buy a Kawasaki KLR 650 for about $5,200, spend about $2,000 on SERIOUS adventure touring accessories , and head off to see the world. Lighter and cheaper with an absolutely huge aftermarket and worldwide dealer support. And probably more reliable than either the K-toom or Beemer.

Downside? You'll never learn the secret BMW handshakeÂ…
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #48
SuperBill
Founding Member

Didja' notice that BMW the sidestands started working about the same time the Berlin Wall fell? Coincidence? MaybeÂ… But the story I hear is that the original BMW sidestand factory was in the Russian sector of Berlin. After W.W.II the BMW engineers were so sure that Germany would be unified they saw no point in expending valuable resources re-engineering a part that had already been perfectly engineered. 45 years later, down goes the wall and on go the working sidestands. Proof enough for some that while BMW engineers may be slow, they are NEVER wrong!
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

The BMW turn signal switch factory must be in North Korea, eh?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:35 AM   #50
pushrod
Founding Member

Another plug for Motorcycle Consumer News (http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/). It may be an expensive subscription, but with no advertisements, it is pound-for-pound a fine publication, loaded with information.

They've recently done a series of articles on how to build a KLR that will take you around the world. It was co-authored by Dr. Greg Frasier, who has done it a couple of times.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote