Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 03-04-2005, 06:25 AM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Suffering from ADD...

Forget the BMW and KTM.

What you need is a classic bike that's both reliable, and at home both in the dirt and on the street.

And who needs all that complex nonsense like ABS and other electronic gizmos to "gum up the works" so to speak.

The venerable CL350 fits that bill to a tee. I've got one around here somewhere...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2005, 06:25 AM   #22
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: dammit woman!

What's with that magazine anyway. I do like how they cozied up to Triumph a while back when they got some 'exclusive' company tour and bike review, but since then I can't really relate to them. They seem to be very sportbike, race track oriented, but have a bit of a Jesse James attitude - you can only be cool if you ride a sportbike. CW doesn't seem to have that problem and they seem to appeal to a much broader audience.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #23
jbbishop2
Registered Member

Boy, Master Burns, I can only hope you're talking about Gardiner...the list would be longer, and still distinguished...

jbbishop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:31 AM   #24
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: Suffering from Ewan and Charlie's Dilemma!

MO did an excellent Adventure Tourer comparo three years ago. I'd love to read a test of the upated bikes.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:33 AM   #25
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Great Idea for a shoot out dd. It certainly would be a welcome departure from the which sport bike is marginally faster, if you have abilities greater than 99.9% of the rest of the people that ride motorcycles, shoot outs. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #26
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Remember, purity of essence. I do not deny women, Mandrake, but I do deny them my essence.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

It's not the guy from the bicycle magazine, is it?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #28
ddlewis
Registered Member

(I'm talking out of my butt here, since I've never even been to SoCal.) There's the gnarly off-road racing areas, but I had the impression there were half decent paved and dirt roads through Baja as well that an adventure tourer might make.

As far as the XRL,KLR, and DR. Great bikes, but they haven't changed a lick in >10 years. (ok 9yrs for DR) and have been reviewed and compared lots of times. It might be cool to throw one of those in the mix against the big bikes though.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #29
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You're right dd. there are some good paved roads, and some dirt roads in Baja that could be traversed by the bikes that you mentioned. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:58 AM   #30
mattkane
Founding Member

Default I have a KTM . . .

It's an '02 Duke. And I absolutely love this bike . . . when it's working. Don't know if it's the single's vibration or poor assembly or whatever, but I've had all kinds of problems with stuff literally falling off the bike (the small metal subframe which holds the license plate and exhausts in place actually fell off at speed, and wedged itself between the rear swing-arm and tire -- not pretty). I keep fixing the thing because again, when it's all working, it very fun. But I can't imagine having this as my only bike. I really wish I could get Honda to build a repli-Duke -- kind of like what they did with the RC51 / Duc996. That would be a neat bike.

/matt
mattkane is offline   Reply With Quote