Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 03-04-2005, 04:16 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Suffering from Ewan and Charlie's Dilemma!

Couple questions. If he shouldn't place the opinions of others above his own, why should he listen to your opinion? Second, if he shouldn't ask "this bunch" for advice, why did you give him advice that he shouldn't listen to?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2005, 04:45 AM   #12
cstewart77
Registered Member

Buy a used Pacfic Coast.
cstewart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:57 AM   #13
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

After years of living with women I have become used to the fact that my opinion is meaningless, however as a long time dual sport rider I love the KTM, but haraldahide said that he was going touring, and was going to explore some unpaved roads. Therefore the BMW is the logical choice. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:15 AM   #14
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default dammit woman!

get to work then. Rumor has it another "new" guy from Motorcyclist mag will be looking for work. Hire him?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:16 AM   #15
ddlewis
Registered Member

BMW's reliability is legendary, and our own experiences back this up. KTMs powered by Rotax should be reliable

I'm not so sure about legendary reliability any more. Think legendary longevity is more like it. There is a surprising amount of disgruntled talk about final drive problems and brake servos at places like ADVrider which, btw, would be an excellent place to ask for first hand opinions on these bikes.

I'm really interested in an adventure bike as well. Currently leaning VStrom (weestrom). Could outfit it w/ bashplates, handguards, etc and still come in at half the price of an R1200GS.

As far as which bike is best, I think there is nothing to do but for MO to get the GS, Ktm, a Tiger and Vstrom 650, camping gear and ride 'em to Baja and take lots of pictures.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:17 AM   #16
kowalke67
Founding Member

I read that adventure was first planned on KTM's but KTM felt the riders were not skilled enough for the trip. They wouldn't sponsor them with bikes because they thought it would be irresponsible and show bad judgement to encourage them when they weren't skilled enough. Can't remember where I read that, maybe CW or Dirt Rider. Guess KTM was wrong about that and missed a good marketing opportunity.

One thing I read in Dirt Rider for certain is Dana Brown (son of Bruce Brown of On Any Sunday) is releasing a documentary on the Baja 1000 called Dust to Glory:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id...f=info&intl=us

Dana Brown has received similar praise for his documentaries that his Dad did for On Any Sunday and Endless Summer.

Could be a good one. Due for release in theaters (limited of course) 4/1/2005.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:21 AM   #17
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default RE:The last part of your post

Finally , someone offers the best advice so far!
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:38 AM   #18
kowalke67
Founding Member

Maybe there was some humor in the "don't ask this bunch" statement so I'm going to give me op. anyway. Who knows, there may be some 1200GS owners and 950 Adventure owners subscribed that usually don't comment and will on this topic.

That said, I completely agree that you should read every print review possible and ask the dealers if you can be put in contact with recent of the bikes (the BMW dealer in Chicago did that for me, he had the okay from a customer to give out his phone number for his opinion on the bike I was looking at). Also, subscribe to an online forum where these bikes are discussed and read up and ask questions. Ducati.ms was extreamly helpful for me when deciding if I wanted an ST3 or not (the site continues to be a great source of information). I think finding a forum online discussing a bike your interested in is invaluable in making a purchasing decision. Of course try to get a test ride. Like Longride said in one post have a wad of cash in your pocket suggesting you are ready to buy "now" but not unless you get a test ride. It's worth a try. Don't get robbed on the way to or from the dealer. Maybe a check book would be better, depends on your hood

In the end, from what I've read on these two bikes, maladg's question of

"Ask yourself this question: do I want a great streetbike that is ok on dirt roads or a great dirtbike that is great on roads but would be a bit less comfy on long hauls?"

is probably what it will come down too. Although I'd think the KTM is more than a bit less comfy than the Beemer. But, the KTM will smoke the Beemer in the dirt. That has been the consensus in every review I've read comparing those two bikes.

Good luck. It's a blast buying a new bike.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:48 AM   #19
kowalke67
Founding Member

Definitely the right bikes to test. I don't know if any of the bikes except the KTM would come back from off-road in Baja alive. I don't think the Tiger or the Strom stand a chance on anything other than dirt and gravel roads. Probalby not the Beemer either IMO.

A unique comparison you never see in mags would be the Suzuki DR650 vs. KLR650 vs. the XR650L. I'd love to hear how those bikes stack up against each other. If one is going to ride 50/50 road/dirt I think those bikes fit the task best.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:10 AM   #20
12er
Founding Member

they changed the seat on the 05 ktm. Looks a little better buy I agree the 04 seat is not so comfy.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote